- 60% Teaching, 40% Research
- B.A. in Chemistry, University of Missouri-Kansas City, 1990
- B.S. in Ecology, Evolution and Animal Behavior, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, 1991
- D.V.M., Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Colorado State University, 1998
- Ph.D. in Pathobiology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
- Veterinary Parasitology (VMED 676) - Course Coordinator
A considerable portion of the infectious diseases identified by the AMA / AVMA One Health / One Medicine Initiative are arthropod-borne zoonoses. Identifying and developing solutions to problems created by human activities that influence vector populations and disease incidence, such as land use change, climate change, species introductions, and insecticide misuse, are essential to the health and well-being of humans and animals alike.
- Arthropod-focused parasitology, vector ecology, and emerging animal and human disease.
- Cortinas, M.R. and C.J. Jones. Ectoparasites of cattle and small ruminants. In: Ballweber, L.R., editor. The Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice. Philadelphia: Saunders, Elsevier. 22(3): 673-693; 2006.
- Cortinas, M.R. and U. Kitron. County-level surveillance of white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus) infestation by Ixodes scapularis and Dermacentor albipictus (Acari: Ixodidae) along the Illinois River. Journal of Medical Entomology 43(5): 810-819; 2006.
- Ceballos, L.A., M.V. Cardinal, M.A. Lauricella, G.M. Vazquez-Prokopec, M.M. Orozco, R. Cortinas, A.G. Schijman, M.J. Levin, U. Kitron, and R.E. Gürtler. Long-term reduction of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in sylvatic mammals following deforestation and sustained vector surveillance in northwestern Argentina. Acta Tropica 98(3): 286-296; 2006.
- Diuk-Wasser, M.A., A.G. Gatewood, M.R. Cortinas, S. Yaremych-Hamer, J. Tsao, U. Kitron, G. Hickling, J.S. Brownstein, E. Walker, J. Piesman, and D. Fish. Spatiotemporal patterns of host-seeking Ixodes scapularis nymphs (Acari: Ixodidae) in the United States. Journal of Medical Entomology 43(2): 166-176; 2006.
- Cortinas, M.R., M.A. Guerra, C.J. Jones, and U. Kitron. Detection, characterization, and prediction of tick-borne disease foci. International Journal of Medical Microbiology 291(33): 11-20; 2002.
- Guerra, M., E. Walker, C. Jones, S. Paskewitz, M. Cortinas, A. Stancil, L. Beck, M. Bobo, and U. Kitron. Predicting the risk of Lyme disease: habitat suitability for Ixodes scapularis in the north-central U.S. Emerging Infectious Diseases 8(3): 289-297; 2002.
- Jones, C.J., S.A. Isard and M.R. Cortinas. Dispersal of synanthropic Diptera: Lessons from the past and technology for the future. Annals of the Entomological Society of America 93(6): 829-839; 1999.