- 80% Research, 20% Teaching
Professional Resposiblilites and Activities:
- BS, Agriculture, Kerala Agricultural University, 2003
- MS, Entomology, Kansas State University, 2006
- PhD, Molecular Biology, University of North Texas, 2011
- Plant resistance to insects
- Plant signaling mechanisms
- Induced defenses
- Insect effectors
- Louis J, Basu S, Varsani S, Castano-Duque L, Jiang V, Williams WP, Felton GW and Luthe DS (2015). Ethylene contributes to mir1-mediated maize defense against the phloem-sap sucking insect Rhopalosiphum maidis. Plant Physiology (Accepted/In-press).
- Louis J and Shah J (2015). Plant defence against aphids: the PAD4 signalling nexus. Journal of Experimental Botany, 66 (2): 449-454.
- Louis J, Luthe DS and Felton GW (2013). Salivary signals of European corn borer induce indirect defenses in tomato. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 8, e27318.
- Louis J, Peiffer M, Ray S, Luthe DS and Felton GW (2013). Host-specific salivary elicitor(s) of European Corn Borer (Ostrinia nubilalis) induce defenses in tomato and maize. New Phytologist, 199: 63-73.
- Louis J and Shah J (2013). Arabidopsis thaliana - Myzus persicae interaction: shaping the understanding of plant defense against phloem-feeding aphids. Frontiers in Plant Science, 4: 213.
- Cao T, Lahiri I, Singh V, Louis J, Shah J and Ayre BG (2013). Metabolic engineering of raffinose-family oligosaccharides in the phloem reveals alterations in carbon partitioning and enhances resistance to green peach aphid. Frontiers in Plant Science, 4: 263.
- Louis J, Gobbato E, Mondal HA, Feys BJ, Parker JE and Shah J (2012). Discrimination of Arabidopsis PAD4 activities in defense against green peach aphid and pathogens. Plant Physiology, 158: 1860-1872. (Cover article April 2012).
- Louis J, Mondal HA and Shah J (2012). Green peach aphid infestation induces Arabidopsis PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 expression at site of stylet penetration. Plant Signaling & Behavior, 7: 11, 1431-1433.
- Singh V, Louis J, Ayre B, Reese JC and Shah J (2011). TREHALOSE PHOSPHATE SYNTHASE11-dependent trehalose metabolism promotes Arabidopsis thaliana defense against the phloem-feeding insect, Myzus persicae. The Plant Journal, 67 (1): 94-104.
- Zhu L, Reese JC, Louis J, Campbell L and Chen MS (2011). Electrical penetration graph (EPG) analysis of the feeding behavior of soybean aphids on soybean cultivars with antibiosis. Journal of Economic Entomology, 104 (6): 2068-2072.
- Louis J, Kukula K-L, Singh V, Reese JC, Jander G and Shah J (2010). Antibiosis against the green peach aphid requires the Arabidopsis thaliana MYZUS PERSICAE INDUCED LIPASE1 gene. The Plant Journal, 64 (5): 800-811.
- Pallipparambil GR, Reese JC, Avila CA, Louis J and Goggin FL (2010). Mi-mediated aphid resistance in tomato: tissue localization and impact on the feeding behavior of two potato aphid isolates with differing levels of virulence. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 135: 295-307.
- Louis J, Leung Q, Pegadaraju V, Reese JC and Shah J (2010). PAD4-dependent antibiosis contributes to the ssi2-conferred hyper-resistance to the green peach aphid. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 23 (5): 618-627.
- Mutti NS, Louis J, Pappan LK, Pappan K, Begum K, Chen MS, Park Y, Dittmer N, Marshall J, Reese JC and Reeck GR (2008). A protein from the salivary glands of the pea aphid, Acyrthosiphon pisum, is essential in feeding on a host plant. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 105 (29): 9965-9969.
- Pegadaraju V, Louis J, Singh V, Reese JC, Bautor J, Feys BJ, Cook G, Parker JE and Shah J (2007). Phloem-based resistance to green peach aphid is controlled by Arabidopsis PHYTOALEXIN DEFICIENT4 without its signaling partner ENHANCED DISEASE SUSCEPTIBILITY1. The Plant Journal, 52 (2): 332-341.
- Diaz-Montano J, Reese JC, Louis J, Campbell L and Schapaugh WT (2007). Feeding behavior by the soybean aphid (Hemiptera: Aphididae) on resistant and susceptible soybean genotypes. Journal of Economic Entomology, 100 (3): 984-989.
- Voothuluru P, Meng J, Khajuria C, Louis J, Zhu L, Starkey S, Wilde GE, Baker CA and Smith CM (2006). Categories and inheritance of resistance to Russian wheat aphid (Homoptera: Aphididae) biotype 2 in a selection from wheat cereal introduction 2401. Journal of Economic Entomology, 99 (5): 1854-1861.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Felton GW, Chung SC, Estrada-Hernańdez MG, Louis J, Peiffer M and Tian D (2014). Herbivore oral secretions are the first line of protection against plant induced defenses. Annual Plant Reviews, 47: 37-76.
- Louis J, Singh V and Shah J (2012). Arabidopsis thaliana – aphid interaction. The Arabidopsis Book, 10: e0159. (Invited book chapter).
- Parker JE, Rietz S, Wirthmüller L, Bartsch M, Bautor J, Pegadaraju V, Louis J, Singh V, Reese J and Shah J (2008). Processes in plant resistance to invasive pathogens and probing insects. In "Biology of Plant-Microbe Interactions", Vol 6. M. Lorito, S. L. Woo, and F. Scala, eds. IS- MPMI, St Paul, MN.
- Eric E. Conn Young Investigator Award, American Society of Plant Biologists, 2015
- International Congress on Insect Neurochemistry and Neurophysiology (ICINN) Student Recognition Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry, Toxicology, and Molecular Biology, Entomological Foundation, 2011.
- Graduate Student Recognition Award for Academic Excellence and Performance, Toulouse Graduate School, University of North Texas, 2011.
- John Henry Comstock Graduate Student Award, Entomological Society of America, 2010.
- Love of Learning Award, Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2010.
- American Society of Plant Biologists Travel Grant, 2010.
- Lillian & Alex Feir Graduate Student Travel Award in Insect Physiology, Biochemistry or Molecular Biology, Entomological Foundation, 2009.
- Gamma Sigma Delta Outstanding Graduate Student Research Award (MS), Kansas State University, 2007.