50% Extension, 50% Research
- B.A. in Zoology, University of California at Santa Barbara, 1975
- M.S. in Entomology, University of Arizona, 1977
- Ph.D. in Entomology, North Carolina State University, 1981
Professional Responsibilities and Activities:
- Conduct research and Extension programs on insect pest management of field crops. Currently working primarily on corn and soybean insects.
- Coordinator of Nebraska Extension IPM programs
- Member of NCERA 222, USDA Regional Committee on IPM
- Member of NCERA-220, Regional Committee on Arthropod Biological Control
- ESA National committees:
- 2002 Student Competition Chair
- 2003 Program Chair
- 2004 Poster Session Chair
- 2005-2009 Editorial Board, American Entomologist
- 2009-2010 Membership Committee
- 2012 North Central Branch ESA, Program Chair
- Fifty-seven refereed journal articles, five book chapters, two research bulletins and numerous scientific abstracts dealing with biology and integrated pest management of insect pests of corn, sorghum, wheat, cotton, potatoes, turf and ornamental crops.
- See http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/entomologyfacpub/ for publications available online.
- Outstanding Young Scientist, University of Nebraska Chapter, Sigma Xi, 1990.
- Blue Ribbon Award, American Society of Agricultural Engineers Educational Aids Competition, Summer 1991 Meeting, Water Quality/Pesticides Exhibit, Sheila Smith, Larry Schulze, Robert Grisso and Robert Wright.
- Excellence in Team Programming Award, Corn Lethal Necrosis Team, University of Nebraska Cooperative Extension, 1991.
- IANR Team Award, Mid-Nebraska Water Quality Demonstration Project Team, 1995.
- Selected for National Extension Leadership Development program in North-Central Region, 1996-97 Class.
- Outstanding Poster Display, Section E, Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, 1996.
R.J. Wright & J.F. Witkowski, "Grower Attitudes and Practices Toward European Corn Borer and Bacillus Thuringiensis Transgenic Corn in South-Central Nebraska".
- North Central Branch Nominee for Entomological Society of America Award of Excellence in Integrated Pest Management, 1997.
- 2000 Specialists Section, Distinguished Service Award, Nebraska Cooperative Extension Association.
- 2007 Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Award, Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society.
- 2009 Educational Project Award, The Grasshoppers of Nebraska, Mid-America Chapter, Board Certified Entomologist, ESA
- 2011 IPM Team Award, Entomological Foundation.