Appointment: Adjunct Faculty
- B.S. in Entomology, Purdue University, 1979
- M.S. in Entomology, Purdue University, 1982
- Ph.D. in Entomology, Purdue University, 1987
Professional Responsibilities and Activities:
- Product Development Manager, SipcamAdvan
- [Current] Owner, INSPECTOLOGY LLC. Professional Consulting, Structural, Wood Destroying Insect and Radon Measurement evaluations
-  Dow AgroSciences R&D Fellow (Retired)
- [2014-2015] R&D Fellow & Global Trait Development Process Leader. Global oversight/ enhancement of Dow AgroSciences trait development process and improvement strategies.
-  R&D Fellow & Global Certified Reference Materials Strategy Leader. Development of global strategies for Dow AgroSciences Certified Reference Materials for regulatory compliance.
- [2012-2013] Associate Director & Global Production Research Leader. Leadership for all inbred and varietal seed characterization – all crops (Canada, US, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Hungary and Poland)
- [2009-2011] Associate Director & Global Parent Seeds Leader. Leadership for all inbred and varietal seed production – all crops (Canada, US, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, Hungary and Poland)
- [2008-2009] North America Traits & Product Development Leader. Leadership for North America organization; pre-commercial hybrid characterization and associated transgenic traits.
-  North America Biology Leader – Seeds & Traits. Leadership for development of biological characterization data/analysis of SmartStax trait technologies.
- [2004-2006] Global Regulatory Molecule Leader. Global accountability for regulatory actions and maintenance of legal right-to-sell existing molecules (Spinosad, Methoxyfenozide, Tebufenozide, Trifluralin, Ethalflrualin, Benfluralin, Flumetsulam, Diclosulam, Cloransulam- methyl, Nitrapyrin), and new registration of pyroxulam.
- [2002-2003] Regulated Traits Compliance Project Leader. Development/implementation of key work processes and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory standards/guidelines established for research with regulated transgenic materials.
- [1989-2002] Dow Agricultural Products/DowElanco/Dow AgroSciences LLC. Crop Protection R&D (multiple roles). Technical Service & Development Scientist, Field Development Scientist, Product Development Manager, Precision Agriculture Specialist, Technology Development Leader, Human Resources Manager.
- [1982-1989] Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc., Tipton, IN. Production Research Agronomist, Integrated Pest Management Coordinator.
-  Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN. Graduate Teaching Assistant.
-  Henry Hilger & Sons Farms, Inc., Ft Wayne, IN. IPM Supervisor & Ag Chemicals Specialist.
- [1979-1981[ Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN. Graduate Research Assistant, Extension Assistant.
Culy, M.D. Yield loss of field corn from insects. In R.K.D. Peterson and L.G. Higley (ed.) Biotic stress and yield loss. CRC Press LLC. 2001. pp 43-71.
Lindroth, E., T.E. Hunt, S.R. Skoda, M.D. Culy, D. Lee and J.E. Foster. 2012. Population genetics of the western bean cutworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) across the United States. Annals Entomological Society of America. 105(5):685-692.
Culy, M.D., C.R. Edwards, and J.R. Cornelius. 1992. Effect of silk feeding by western corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) on yield and quality of inbred corn in seed corn production fields. J. Econ. Entomol. 85(6):2440-2446.
Culy, M.D., C.R. Edwards, and J.R. Cornelius. 1992. Minimum silk length for optimum pollination in seed corn production fields. J. Prod. Agric. 5(3):387-392.
Culy, M.D., C.R. Edwards, and J.R. Cornelius. 1991. Row position effects within seed corn production fields on yield and quality of inbred corn. J. Prod. Agric. 4(3):373-376.
- “Best Grandpa Ever” (2014-present)
- John V. Osmun Alumni Professional Achievement Award in Entomology, Purdue University (2014)
- Director (Board of Directors), The Entomological Foundation (2013-present)
- Department of Entomology Development Council. (2014-present). Purdue University, Department of Entomology. W. Lafayette, IN
- Department of Entomology Advisory Board (2011-2014). University of Nebraska, Department of Entomology. Lincoln, NE
- Department of Agronomy Advisory Council (2008-2012). Purdue University, Department of Agronomy. W. Lafayette, IN
- ESA Local Arrangements Co-Chair (2009 Annual Meeting), Indianapolis, IN
- Award of Merit, North Central Branch, Entomological Society of America (2007)
- Governing Board Member, Section F. Entomological Society of America (2006- 2007)
- Distinguished Agricultural Alumni Award; Purdue University College of Agriculture (2006)
- President, North Central Branch – Entomological Society of America (05-06)
- The Entomological Foundation - Board of Counselors. (2003-2013). (Fundraising Committee 04-13).
- CERES Agricultural Honorary, Purdue University