The Agricultural Entomology Lab at University of Delaware (canr.udel.edu) is now accepting applicants for MS and PhD student positions. Research in the lab ranges from applied projects seeking to understand insect movements in cropping systems to basic studies on how insects respond to rapid environmental change.
There is ample opportunity for students to shape the goals of their projects while aligning with emerging research topics in the lab pertaining to: 1) ecology and management of lesser mealworm (Alphitobius diaperinus) in poultry production systems, 2) ecology and management of slugs in corn and soybean production systems, 3) broad impacts of anthropogenic changes (e.g., land use, climate change, artificial light at night, sea-level rise) on insect biodiversity and evolution, as well as plant-insect and predator-prey interactions, and 4) production of insects as alternative sources of food and feed.
Candidates are expected to start their graduate programs in early 2022.
- A B.Sc. in Entomology, Ecology, Evolution, Agricultural Sciences, or Earth Sciences
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills
- An appreciation for and/or commitment to the lab core values*
- Valid U.S. Driver’s license
- Experience collecting and/or rearing insects
- Experience working in agricultural settings
- Proficiency in a common computer language such as R or Python
To apply: Please send the following information to Mike Crossley (email@example.com):
- CV (resume)
- Brief statement of career goals and research interests pertaining to the project(s)
- Names and email address of at least 2 references
The core values of the lab are:
- Curiosity – being motivated by a strong desire to learn and embrace the unknown
- Community – valuing and promoting connection with people from diverse backgrounds, and fostering a team-minded and collaborative work environment
- Resilience – having a tenacious commitment to grow, learn, and persevere in the face of failure, uncertainty, and adversity
Deadline to apply: Friday, October 15, 2021View Website Listing Job description (PDF)