- Grace Carter
Hometown: Spring, TX
Current Major: Child, Youth and Family Studies with a minor in Education
- I joined the bee lab as an undergraduate technician in January 2021. I have always loved bees and used to keep hives with my dad when I was younger. We plan to keep bees again when we move, so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to have a fun job and learn more about keeping bees!
- I plan to attend nursing school after graduating from UNL. My ultimate goal is to one day become a midwife!
- Andres Hayes
Hometown: Cordoba, Argentina/Kearney, Nebraska
Degree: Fisheries and wildlife with a focus in conservation biology
- In 2018 I was working on various conservation initiatives in the Zambezi Delta of Mozambique (Southern Africa) when I was tasked with beginning and managing a community beekeeping project. I had no prior knowledge of bees but quickly realized how interesting and important they are and I became fascinated by them.
- I started working as an undergrad technician at the UNL Bee Lab in February 2022 and look forward to learning more about both honey and native bees. As well as the research that is done to further our knowledge and in turn our conservation and management tactics.
- Apart from learning about bees and wildlife conservation, I am interested in agriculture, motorcycles, traveling, and sports.
- Jaevyn Hoyt
Hometown: Lincoln, NE
Degree: Emerging media arts major with an Entomology minor
I love to create with whatever I get my hands on! Quickly finding the affordances of a medium and thinking of ways to use them to solve the problems at hand is one of my many talents. I'm interested in finding ways to discuss important issues by creating narratives in a variety of mediums.
- Claire Gillespie
Hometown: Papillion, NE
Degree: Plant and Landscape Systems and Horticulture
- Madison King
Hometown: San Diego, CA
Degree: Current UNL student studying biology with a minor in poultry science
- Joined the lab as an undergraduate technician May 2019.
- Working toward developing a UCARE research project and discovering more about bees.
- In the future, I plan to work as a public health veterinarian for the Army.<>
- Paige Myers
Hometown: Lincoln, NE
Degree: Current UNL student majoring in Chemistry, working on minors in Mathematics and Insect Science
- I joined the bee lab as an undergraduate technician in October 2021.
- I'm fascinated with bees, especially native species, and in the future I want to work in the conservation of bumblebees and other native species.
- Clara O'Brien
Hometown: Chestertown, MD
Degree: Current UNL student majoring in Insect Science
- Backyard Beekeeper for 6 years starting in 2016, managed feral and Russian bee hives
- I joined the bee lab as an undergraduate technician in September 2022
- I am fascinated with wild bees and honey bees and want to gain experience in wild bee conservation and honey bee management
Hometown: Abilene, KS
Degree: B.S. in Agronomy, KSU
Lab Focus: Honey bee conservation, ecology & education
Rogan is currently pursuing a Ph.D. in Entomology at Auburn University.
Hometown: Lake in the Hills, Illinois
Major: Majored in Insect Science and Pre-Veterinary Medicine
Courtney is currently attending veterinary school and hopes to further incorporate honey bee/arthropod medicine into veterinary medicine. She has a specific interest in conservation and habitat restoration, for both vertebrates and invertebrates.
Hometown: Kigali, Rwanda
Edith is currently a graduate student seeking an MS in Entomology with the Plant-Insect Interactions Lab. She earned her bachelor's degree from UNL in Integrated Science with minors in Leadership, Entrepreneurship, and Insect Science in May 2022.