Welcome to the Department of Entomology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln!
The UNL Department of Entomology will lead in innovative discovery, education, and service to Nebraska and the world.
We are Nebraska’s authority in entomology.
- We improve lives in Nebraska and the world through globally relevant and outstanding research, extension, and teaching.
- We succeed through a collegial, inclusive, enthusiastic department where we value respect for all, work/life balance, team and multidisciplinary collaborations, and shared accomplishments.
Breaking Entomological News...
- Dr. Susan Weller, director of the University of Nebraska State Museum and professor of Entomology, has been elected a fellow of the Entomological Society of America (ESA). The society noted Weller’s internationally-known research on arctiine moths and other Noctuoidea, and her administrative leadership in promoting entomology and science education. See the article at UNL News for more about Weller's recognition. Congratulations Susan!
- Spomer nets 40-year Butterfly & Beetle Legacy.
Best wishes to Steve Spomer who is retiring this December after 40 years in the Entomology Department. Spomer has identified nearly 700 insect species, including the Salt Creek Tiger Beetle, and taught countless University of Nebraska-Lincoln students.
- Bridget Gross, master's student in Entomology, mentored by Dr. Judy Wu-Smart and Dr. Doug Golick, was featured in the Nov. 11th IANR Student Spotlight. Bridget will present her master's degree seminar on Nov. 19, 2 p.m., via Zoom.
- Dr. Joe Louis receives a grant to study resistance in sorghum to fall armyworm
- Check out the Emerald Ash Borer Resource Center, and our Emerald Ash Borer Look-Alike Insects Sheet - Be Sure Before You Treat!
Entomology Values (Entomology Code of Conduct)
The Department of Entomology values a culture of respect, and recognizes that words and actions matter and that the absence of action and words matter. We embrace a shared responsibility to create a positive culture and to safeguard equity, inclusion, dignity, and respect no matter race, ethnicity and national origins, gender and gender identity, sexuality, disability, class and religion.