Dr. John Foster (Emeritus)
Dr. John E. Foster
- Emeritus Research & Extension Entomologist
- Office: 211 Entomology Hall
- Mailing Address:
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Department of Entomology
103 Entomology Hall
- Phone: (402) 472-8686
- FAX: (402) 472-4687
- Email: JFOSTER1@UNL.EDU
Published over 150 refereed journal articles and research bulletins, 4 book chapters and 30 extension bulletins and other publications dealing with insect and plant genetics, crop protection and sustainable agriculture. Released 9 germplasm lines, 8 cultivars and published on 9 crops.
- B.A. in Biology, Central Methodist College, 1964
- M.S. in Entomology, University of Missouri, 1966
- Ph.D. in Entomology, Purdue University, 1971
- Outstanding Scientist Award, Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, 1998.
- Crops and Soils Award of Merit, Indiana Crop Improvement Association 1988.
- Who's Who in Technology, 6th Edition.
- Who's Who in Frontiers of Science, 1st Edition.
- Who's Who in the Midwest, 18th Edition.
- Who's Who in American Men and Women, 13th Edition.
Breaking Entomological News...
- Insect Science major Earl Agpawa (conducting undergraduate research with Joe Louis and Eileen Hebets) was named the 2020 winner of the ESA’s Plant-Insect Ecosystems Undergraduate Student Achievement Award.This is a national award that recognizes outstanding accomplishments in entomology by an undergraduate student working with insect-plant interactions. Congratulations, Earl!
- PhD student Sajjan Grover (mentored by Joe Louis) was named the 2020 winner of the ESA’s Plant-Insect Ecosystems Kenneth and Barbara Starks Plant Resistance to Insects Graduate Student Award. This is a national award recognizing a graduate student for outstanding work in the area of host plant resistance. Congratulations, Sajjan!
- Dr. Joe Louis receives a grant to study resistance in sorghum to fall armyworm
- We are well-represented in ESA North Central Branch awards this year. Déia Montezano is the 2020 John Henry Comstock Outstanding PhD Student Award winner, Gary Brewer is the 2020 recipient of the Award of Merit, and Bob Wright is the 2020 recipient of the C.V. Riley Award. Congratulations, Déia, Gary, and Bob!
- Congratulations to Dr. Troy Anderson on being elected Vice President Elect for the Physiology, Biochemistry, and Toxicology Section of the Entomological Society of America!
- Dr. Kyle Koch named new insect diagnostician
- Check out the Emerald Ash Borer Resource Center, and our Emerald Ash Borer Look-Alike Insects Sheet - Be Sure Before You Treat!