Welcome & Introduction
1Post-doctoral Research Associate in Bingham Laboratory, 2Graduate Student in Bingham Laboratory, 3Undergraduate student advised by Dr. Bingham, *Co-first authors, #Corresponding author
2023 - present
- Opoku, B., Osekre, E. A., Opit, G.#, Bosomtwe, A., & Bingham, G. V. (2023). Evaluation of Hermetic Storage Bags for the Preservation of Yellow Maize in Poultry Farms in Dormaa Ahenkro, Ghana. Insects 2023, 14(2), 141, DOI: https://doi.org/10.3390/insects14020141
- Submitted: Snyder, D. Swanson, D., Bingham G. V., Cohnstaedt, L. Behavior of Culicoides (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) in the presence of barriers. Journal of Insect Behavior
- Submitted: Snyder, D. Swanson, D., Bingham G. V., Cohnstaedt, L. Efficacy of treated barriers for Culicoides (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) impediment. Journal of Insect Behavior
- Submitted: Deanna S. Scheff*; Georgia V. Baliota ; Michael J. Domingue; Georgina V. Bingham; William R. Morrison III; Christos G. Athanassiou. Evaluations of the new deltamethrin-treated all-in-one hermetic bag for the control of the Khapra beetle, Trogoderma granarium (Everts). Journal of Stored Products Research.
- Joseph Mathu Ndung’u, Alain Boulangé, Albert Picado, Albert Mugenyi, Allan Mortensen, Andrew Hope, Brahim Guihini Mollo, Bruno Bucheton, Charles Wamboga, Charles Waiswa, Dramane Kaba, Enock Matovu, Fabrice Courtin, Gala Garrod, Geoffrey Gimonneau, Georgina V. Bingham, Hassane Mahamat Hassane, Inaki Tirados, Isabel Saldanha, Jacques Kabore, Jean-Baptiste Rayaisse, Jean-Mathieu Bart, Jessica Lingley, Johan Esterhuizen, Joshua Longbottom, Justin Pulford, Lingue Kouakou, Lassina Sanogo, Lucas Cunningham, Mamadou Camara, Mathurin Koffi, Michelle Stanton, Mike Lehane, Moise Saa Kagbadouno, Oumou Camara, Paul Bessell, Peka Mallaye, Philippe Solano, Richard Selby, Sophie Dunkley, Steve Torr, Sylvain Biéler, Veerle Lejon, Vincent Jamonneau, Wilfried Yoni, Zachary Katz; Trypa-NO! contributes to elimination of gambiense human African trypanosomiasis by combining tsetse control with “screen, diagnose and treat” using innovative tools and strategies. PloS NTDs : November 12, 2020 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pntd.0008738
- A. Bosomtwe, E. A. Osekre, G. V. Bingham, G. P. Opit. Evaluation Of Zerofly® Hermetic Storage Bags For Protection Of Maize Against Insect Pests In Ghana. International Journals of Scientific Technology Research: Vol 9: 09; ISSN 2277-8616; 192; IJSTR©2020; www.ijstr.org; September 2020.
- Otitodun, G. O., M. O. Ogundare, S. K. Ajao, S. I. Nwaubani, G. I. Abel, G. P. Opit, G. Bingham and M. O. Omobowale. 2019. Efficacy of phosphine and insect penetration ability in ZeroFly® bags. Journal of Stored Products Research 82: 81–90.
- Paudyal, S., G. P. Opit, E. A. Osekre, F. H. Arthur, G. V. Bingham, M. E. Payton, J. K. Danso, N. Manu, E. P. Nsiah. 2017. Field evaluation of the long-lasting treated storage bag, deltamethrin incorporated, (ZeroFly® Storage Bag) as a barrier to insect pest infestation. Journal of Stored Products Research 70: 44-52. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jspr.2016.11.003.
- Paudyal, S., G. P. Opit, F. H. Arthur, G. V. Bingham, M. E. Payton, S. G. Gautam, and B. Noden. 2017. Effectiveness of the ZeroFly® storage bag fabric against stored-product insects. Journal of Stored Products Research 73C (2017) pp. 87-97 DOI information: 10.1016/j.jspr.2017.07.001.
- Gökçe, A., Bingham. G. V., Mark E. Whalon, M. E. (2017) Impact of long-lasting insecticide-incorporated screens onColorado potato beetle and plum curculio. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry 42(1):38-44.
- Paudyal, S., Opit, G.P., Arthur, F.H., Bingham, G.V., Gautam, S.G. (2016) Contact Toxicity of Deltamethrin Against Tribolium castaneum (Coleoptera: Tenebrionidae), Sitophilus oryzae (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), and Rhyzopertha dominica (Coleoptera: Bostrichidae) Adults. J Econ Entomol. Aug; 109(4):1936-42. doi: 10.1093/jee/tow107. Epub 2016 Jun 6
- Solórzano, J.A., Gilles, J., Bravo, O., Vargas, C., Gomez-Bonilla, Y., Bingham, G.V., Taylor, D. B. (2015) Biology and trapping of stable flies (Diptera: Muscidae) developing in pineapple residues (Ananas comosus) in Costa Rica. J Insect Sci. 2015 Oct 9; 15. pii: 145. doi: 10.1093/jisesa/iev127
- Bingham, G., Alptekin, S., Delogu, G., Gurkan, O., Moores, G. (2014) Synergistic manipulations of insect metabolism in combination with plant activators. Pest Manag Sci. 2014 Apr; 70(4):566-71.
- Chouaibou, M., Zivanovic, G.B., Knox, T.B., Pates Jamet, H. & Bonfoh, B. (2013) Synergist bioassays: A simple method for initial metabolic resistance investigation of field Anopheles gambiae s.l. populations. Acta Tropica 130C 108-111
- Chouaibou, M., Chabi, M., Bingham, G. V., Knox, T., N'dri, L., Kesse, N. B., Bonfoh, B., Pates Jamet H.V. (2012) Increase in susceptibility to insecticides with aging of wild Anopheles gambiae mosquitoes from Côte d'Ivoire. BMC Infect Dis., Sep 13; 12: 214. Epub 2012.
- Bingham, G., Strode, C., Tran, L., Khoa, P. T., Jamet, H. P. (2011) Can piperonyl butoxide enhance the efficacy of pyrethroids against pyrethroid-resistant Aedes aegypti? Trop Med Int Health. Apr; 16(4):492-500. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3156.2010.02717.x. Epub 2011.
- Khot, A.C., Bingham, G.V., Field, L.M. and Moores, G.D. (2009). A novel assay reveals blockade of esterases by piperonyl butoxide (PBO). Pest. Manag. Sci.
- Moores, G. D., Philippou, D., Borzatta, V., Trincia, P., Jewess, P., Gunning, R., Bingham, G. (2009) An analogue of piperonyl butoxide facilitates the characterisation of metabolic resistance. Pest Manag Sci. Feb; 65(2):150-4. doi: 10.1002/ps.1661
- Bingham, G., Gunning, R.V., Delogu, G., Borzatta, V., Field, L.M. and Moores, G.D. (2007) Temporal Synergism can Enhance Carbamate and Neonicotinoid Insecticidal Activity Against Resistant Crop Pests. Pest. Manag. Sci. Jan; 64(1):81-5.
- Bingham, G., Gunning, R.V, Gorman, K., Field, L.M. and Moores, G.D. (2007) Temporal Synergism by Microencapsulation of Piperonyl Butoxide and á- Cypermethrin Overcomes Insecticide Resistance in Crop Pests. Pest. Manag. Sci. 63: 276-281.
- Moores, G.D., Bingham, G. and Gunning, R. V. (2005) Use of 'temporal synergism' to overcome insecticide resistance. Outlooks on Pest Management 16(1) 7-9.
- Gunning, R., Young, S., Bingham, G. and Moores, G. (2004) Synergists turn back the clock on insecticide resistance. The Australian Cotton Grower, 25. 10-11.
- Moores, G. D., Bingham, G., Field, L. M. and Gunning, R. V. (2005) New technology to combat pesticide resistance. Rothamsted Research Annual Report, 2004-2005, 23- 27.
Moores G. D. and Bingham G. V. (2012). COMPOSITIONS AND METHODS FOR SYNERGISTIC MANIPULATION OF PLANT AND INSECT DEFENSES: US 8,329,617 B2.
Vestergaard, M., Bingham G.V., Gouin S. G., Pederson M. S., Pates H. V., Zellwegger M. (2010). MOSQUITO NET WITH DINOTEFURAN AND PBO FOR KILLING MOSQUITOES, ESPECIALLY MOSQUITOES WITH PYRETHROID RESISTANCE. PCT: WO 2010/118743 Al.
- Bingham G.V., Who’s Who in Entomology. Invited Faculty Speaker, UNL. January 2021
- Bingham G.V., Don’t forget to pack your entomologist – Symposium Moderator, Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, Live Online, November 2020
- Bingham G.V., New technologies for age old problems, changing the face of small holder postharvest commodity warehousing. AgriLinks Webinar, April 2020
- Bingham G. V., New technologies for age old problems, changing the face of small holder postharvest commodity warehousing. Kansas State University, Invited Seminar. January 2020.
- Bingham G.V. USAID Post Harvest Loss Innovation Lab; Invited Industry Collaborative Speaker and Panelist – Annual Meeting 2019
- Bingham G.V., New technologies for age old problems, changing the face of small holder postharvest commodity warehousing. Invited keynote speaker, USAID, EPA, USDA, APHIS, GDE Meeting, USAID Headquarters, Washington DC, May, 2019
- Bingham G.V., Hogsette J., and Taylor D. Member Symposium: Advocate Sharing: The Science of Unpublished Results in Entomology: Over half of livestock clinical data goes unpublished - working the bugs out of sharing the unpublishable. International Congress of Entomology, St Louis, MO, November 2019
- Bingham G.V., Opit G., Rault L., Osekre E. A., Otitodun G.A., and Mortensen A. Global Food Security in an Era of Climate Uncertainty: Opportunities for Entomologists Symposium: New technologies for age old problems including how Bitcoin & Uber could change the face of African post-harvest commodity warehousing. ESA North Central Branch Meeting: Cincinnati, OH, March 2019.
- Bingham G.V. Global Evidence of ZeroFly® Storage Bags; Invited speaker for the National Annual meeting of Cooperative Farmers and Growers, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, August 2018.
- Bingham G.V. and Hosgsette J. Trapping Stable Flies in Costa Rica; First Global Workshop on Stable Fly Control, San Jose, Costa Rica, July 2018.
- Bingham G.V., New technologies for age old problems, Key Note Speaker: One Health Symposium, LSTM, September 2018.
- Bingham G.V. USAID Post Harvest Loss Innovation Lab; Invited Industry Collaborative Speaker and Panelist – Annual meeting 2018
- Bingham G.V., Opit, G., Rault, L. C., Osekre, E. A., Otitodun, G.A. and Mortensen, A. Symposium, New technologies for age old problems, changing the face of small holder postharvest commodity warehousing. Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, Vancouver, Canada, November 2018
- Bingham G.V., Vestergaard: A humanitarian entrepreneurship. Invited Speaker for the Bruner Club, UNL. November 2017.
- Bingham G.V. USAID Post Harvest Loss Innovation Lab; Invited Industry Collaborative Speaker and Panelist – Annual meeting 2017
- Bingham G.V., Symposium, Post Harvest Losses - Challenges in scaling technologies. Invited Oral Presentation, Entomological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, 2017
- Bingham G.V., Post Harvest Losses - Challenges in scaling technologies. Invited Oral Presentation; Stored Product Entomology: Challenges that Transcend Boundaries Symposium, 25th International Congress of Entomology, Orlando, FL, 25-30 September 2016
- Bingham G.V. Seedling protection with long lasting treated fabrics. Invited Speaker - USAID FtF Horticulture Innovation Lab Annual Meeting, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, June 2016
- Bingham G.V. USAID Post Harvest Loss Innovation Lab – Annual Meeting 2015
- Bingham, G., Signa, D. ZeroFly Storage Bag – An innovative tool to protect against post-harvest losses. First International Congress on Post Harvest Losses, Rome, Italy 2015.
- Bingham, G., ZeroFly Storage Bag – An innovative tool to protect against post-harvest losses. Save Food international Congress, Dusseldorf, Germany 2015.
- Bingham, G. V., Impact of a novel tool, ZeroFly® storage bags, within multi country field trials; controlling key target post-harvest storage pests on various commodities. 30th IWCSPP Chiang Mai, Thailand, 2014
- Bingham Zivanovic, G., Tramparulo Baban, O., Sumbu, J., Khoa, P.T., Pates Jamet, H. New tools and a Combined Approach: Sleeping Sickness, Food Security & the challenges of bringing new tools to the people who need them. 32nd ISCTRC Khartoum, Sudan 2013
- Tramparulo-Baban, O., Anderson Djagmah, B., Bingham Zivanovic, G. V., Sharma, M., Abavana, M.,, M. Knuchel, M., Mahama, C. Preliminary Data on the Usage of ZeroFly® Livestock, an Insecticide-incorporated Screen, to Improve Livestock Productivity. Improving smallholder and industrial livestock production for enhancing food security, environment, and human welfare. 15th AAAP Animal Science Congress of the Asian-Australasian Association of Animal Production Societies, Bangkok, Thailand 2012.
- Sharma, V., Tramparulo Baban O., Khoa, P.T., Bingham Zivanovic, G. New tools and a Combined Approach: Fly Control, Food Security & the challenges of bringing new tools to small holder dairy farmers. AHCAB, Bangladesh 2011
- Bingham, G., Strode, C., Tran, L., Khoa, P. T., Jamet, H. P. Can piperonyl butoxide enhance the efficacy of pyrethroids against pyrethroid-resistant Aedes aegypti? Keystones Symposia, Copper Springs, Colorado, USA, April 2010
- Chouaibou, M., Chabi, M., Bingham, G. V., Knox, T., N'dri, L., Kesse, N. B., Bonfoh, B., Pates Jamet H.V. Establishment of an insecticide resistant colony of Anopheles gambiae for the assessment of new vector control tools. ASTMH Philidelphia, USA. Nov 2011
- Chouaibou, M., Bingham, G. V., Knox, T.B., Pates Jamet, H. The effect of mosquito age on insecticide resistance status. ASTMH Atlanta, USA, Nov 2010
- Jamet, H. J., Knox, T., Bingham, G.V., Pedersen, M. S. Pyrethroid resistance and the complexity of testing innovative products. ASTMH Washington, USA, Nov 2009
- Jamet, H. J., Knox, T., Bingham, G.V., Pedersen, M. S. Insecticide Resistance in Malaria Mosquitoes. 5th MIM Pam-Africa Malaria Conference, Nairobi, Kenya, Nov 2009
- Bingham G., Strode, C., Tran, L., Le, N., Vu, L., Khoa, P. Y., Pates Jamet H.V. Enhancing the efficacy of deltamethrin on pyrethroid resistant mosquitoes with piperonyl butoxide. Invited oral Presentation – SOVE Antalya, Turkey, Oct 2009
- Bingham G., Enhancing the efficacy of deltamethrin on pyrethroid resistant mosquitoes with piperonyl butoxide. Invited oral Presentation - Climate Change Effects on Vectors of Disease, Ouidah, Benin, Oct 2008
- Bingham, G., Alptekin, S., Delogu, G., Gurkan, O., Moores, G. Synergistic manipulations of insect metabolism in combination with plant activators. 23rd International Congress of Entomology, Durban, ZA. 6-12 July 2008
- Bingham, G., Gordon, Y., Bartley, D. Jackson, F. and Moores, G. D. Temporal synergism renews efficacy of ivermectin in resistant roundworm. WAAVP 2007 Conference, Ghent, Belgium.
- Bingham, G., Bates, P.G. and Moores, G. D. Temporal Synergism Controls Highly Resistant Poultry Red Mite. WAAVP 2007 Conference, Ghent, Belgium.
- Bingham, G. and Moores, G. Pre-treatment of PBO Restores Pirimicarb Susceptibility in Aphis gossypii and Myzus persicae. VIIIth European Congress of Entomology 2006, Izmir, Turkey.
- Moores, G., Bingham, G., Khot, A. and Gunning, R. Use of 'Temporal Synergism' to overcome Insecticide Resistance. VIIIth European Congress of Entomolgy 2006, Izmir, Turkey.
- Bingham, G.V., Gunning, R.V, Field, L & Moores, G.D. A novel microencapsulated formulation of á- cypermethrin and PBO overcomes pyrethroid resistance in Aphis gossypii and Myzus persicae. 7th International Symposium on Aphids 2005, Freemantle, W. Australia, 2-7th October.
- Verdu, M. J., Moores, G. D., Cervera, A., Bingham, G., Catalan, J., Garcera, M. D., Young, S., Lopez, N., Martinez-Pardo R. Increased efficacy of conventional insecticides against greenhouse pests by the use of piperonyl butoxide (PBO). In Abstracts, Strength in Diversity: 22nd International Congress of Entomology 2004, Brisbane, 15-21 August.
- Borzatta, V., Bingham, G., Cappacella, E., Gunning, R., Trincia, P., Young, S. and Moores, G. D. Analogues of piperonyl butoxide and their efficacy against metabolic enzymes. In Abstracts, Strength in Diversity: 22nd International Congress of Entomology, Brisbane, 15-21 August, 2004.
Nebraska One Health - Connecting Human, Animal, Plant and Ecosystem Health.
One Health brings together people with diverse backgrounds, skills, and perspectives to improve the health of humans, animals (wild and domestic), plants and our shared environments.
Read more about Bingham's global work at: https://news.unl.edu/newsrooms/today/article/bingham-s-global-work-promotes-food-security-health-protections/
Dr. Georgina Bingham
Jordyn Svoboda, Research Technician
Natalie Johnston, Master's of Science student
- Reece Yeatman, REEU student
- Jaquez Daniels, REEU Student
- Mason Hardin
- Dayton He
- Santiago Lara
- Claire O’Brien
- Ethan Sajko
- Taylor Sakaguchi
|Fundamentals of Biology II (Life 121):
Second course of two life science courses. A systems-based phylogenetic approach to the study of organisms considering their morphology, life histories, physiology and ecology. The nature and evolution of biological diversity and how that diversity is studied.
Insect Ecology (ENTO 406/806):
|Stored Products (ENTO 496/896):
This course focuses on storing food products and protecting the food from insect infestation. Includes individual or group projects in research, literature review, or Extension of course work.
|Entomology Seminar (ENTO 905) during the 2022-23 academic year:
Presentation of Entomology topics, research proposals, and related subject areas.