|Appointment: 50% Extension, 50% Research
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- B.S. in Agronomy, University of Minnesota, Crookston, 2009
- M.S. in Entomology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 2012
- D.P.H. Doctor of Plant Health, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 2016
- Ph.D. in Entomology, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, 2016
- Development and implementation of an applied research program focused on integrated crop protection and cropping systems
- Establish transdisciplinary collaborations including effective integration with extension issue teams and research groups
- McMechan, A. J. and G. L. Hein. 2017. Population dynamics of the wheat curl mite (Acari: Eriophyidae) during the heading stages of wheat. Journal of Econ. Ent. Accepted.
- Nguy-Robertson T., A. Zygielbaum, A. J. McMechan, G. Hein, S. Wegulo, A. Stilwell, and T. Smith. 2016. Developing a framework for a risk map for mite vectored viruses in wheat resulting from pre-harvest hail damage in western Nebraska, U.S.A. Crop Protection. 89: 21-31.
- Wosula, E., A. J. McMechan, C. Oliveira-Hofman, S. N. Wegulo, and G. L. Hein. 2016. Differential transmission of two isolates of Wheat streak mosaic virus by five wheat curl mite populations. Plant Dis. 100(1): 154-158.
- McMechan, A. J. and G. L. Hein. 2015. Planting date and variety selection for management of viruses transmitted by the wheat curl mite (Aceria tosichella Keifer). Journal of Economic Entomology. 109(1): 70-77.
- Byamukama E., S. Tatineni, G. Hein, A. J. McMechan, and S. N. Wegulo. 2015. Incidence of Wheat streak mosaic virus, Triticum mosaic virus, and Wheat mosaic virus in wheat curl mites recovered from maturing winter wheat spikes. Plant Dis. 100(2): 318-323.
- Tatineni, S., A. J. McMechan, M. Bartels, G. L. Hein and R. A. Graybosch. 2015. In vitro transcripts of wild-type and fluorescent protein-tagged Triticum mosaic virus (Family Potyviridae) are biologically active in wheat. Phytopathology. 105(11): 1496-1505.
- Wosula, E., A. J. McMechan, G. L. Hein. 2015. The effects of temperature, humidity, virus infection status on off host survival of Aceria tosichella (Trombidiformes: Eriophyidae). J. Econ. Ent. 108(4): 1545-1552.
- Tatineni S., A. J. McMechan, E. Wosula, S. Wegulo, R. Graybosh, R. French, and G. Hein. 2014. An eriophyoid mite-transmitted plant virus contains eight genomic RNA segments with unusual heterogeneity in nucleocapsid protein. Journal of Virology. 88(20): 11834-11845.
- McMechan A. J., S. Tatineni, R. French and G. Hein. 2014. Differential transmission of Triticum mosaic virus by wheat curl mite populations collected in the Great Plains. Plant Disease. Plant Disease. 98(6): 806-810.
- Tatineni S., A. J. McMechan, G. Hein and R. French. 2011. Efficient and stable expression of GFP through Wheat streak mosaic virus-based vectors in cereal hosts using a range of cleavage sites: Formation of dense fluorescent aggregates for sensitive virus tracking. Virology 410: 268-281.
- John Henry Comstock Award, Entomology Society of America, North Central Branch, 2016
- President’s Prize Student Competition at Annual Meeting of Entomological Society of America
- Oral 10-minute paper, Portland, OR, 2014
- Oral 10-minute paper, Austin, TX, 2013
- Oral 10-minute paper, Portland, Knoxville, TN, 2012
- Oral 10-minute paper, Reno, NV, 2011
- North Central Branch Entomological Society Student Competition
- Oral Presentation (2nd Place), Manhattan, KS, 2015
- Oral Presentation (1st Place), Des Moines, IO, 2014
- Oral Presentation (2nd Place), Minneapolis, MN, 2011
- Poster Presentation (1st Place), Louisville, KY, 2010
- Agronomy Society of America
- Outstanding Poster Award in Educational Materials, 2015
- American Phytopathological Society
- Poster Presentation (1st Place), Omaha, NE, 2011
- Milton E. Mohr Teaching Fellowship, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 2011
- Larrick-Whitmore Scholarship, Lincoln, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, 2011
- All American Award – Seed Analysis and Plant Identification, Chicago, IL, 2009
- John Polley Soil and Water Conservation Award, Crookston, MN, 2009
- Business Planning Award with Farm Credit Canada, Brandon, MB, Canada, 2006
- Simplot Academic Excellence Award, Brandon, MB, Canada, 2006
- Cargill Academic Excellence Award, Brandon, MB, Canada, 2006
- Keith Gillman Foundation, Academic Excellence, Brandon, MB, Canada, 2006
- Percy Lanham Foundation, Agriculture Academic Based Award, Brandon, MB, Canada, 2006