We believe in the power of every person.
Dr. Heinrichs is an entomologist with expertise in integrated pest management (IPM) and international agriculture. His research focus has been on the integration of resistant crop varieties with other control tactics in pest management systems with emphasis on rice.
- B.S., University of Nebraska, 1962. Major: Agriculture, Minor: Zoology
- M.S., University of Nebraska, 1964. Major: Entomology
- Ph.D., Kansas State University, 1967. Major: Entomology
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- Heinrichs has focused on the integration of resistant crop varieties with other control tactics in pest management systems with an emphasis on rice. He has work experience in many countries with long-term experience in agricultural development programs in Asia, South America and Africa. Dr. Heinrichs also has extensive experience working on multidisciplinary teams involving sociologists, plant breeders, soil scientists, agronomists, economists, plant pathologists, weed scientists, entomologists, and nematologists. His IPM experience involves cooperation with international agencies including USAID, World Bank, African Development Bank, and International Agricultural Centers (IARCs) of the CGIAR.
- His administrative experience includes: Head of IRRI's Department of Entomology in the Philippines; Head of the Department of Entomology at Louisiana State University; Program Leader at WARDA in Côte d'Ivoire; Program Director of the IPM CRSP at VA Tech; Asia Program Leader, Feed the Future IPM Innovation Lab, VA Tech; Fulbright Fellow, UNISINOS, Sao Leopoldo, Brazil, 2008-2009; Professor on the faculties of four universities in the United States and the Philippines; Secretary General, International Association for the Plant Protection Sciences (IAPPS), 2003-present.
Heinrichs has published more than 170 refereed journal articles, 12 books, 37 book chapters, 144 newsletter articles and reports, 11 training modules, 45 YouTube movies documenting agricultural development in Africa and Central America, and 19 student theses/dissertations as mentor. Many of his publications are in the UNL Digital Commons.
Location6517 S. 19th St.
Lincoln, NE 68512
Professional Society Memberships
- Entomology Society of America (ESA)