Entomology Department offers new Ph.D. Fellowship

Entomology Department offers new Ph.D. Fellowship

Students provide Entomology outreach at Discovery Days.

Friday, March 18, 2022

The Entomology Department at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is offering a brand new department-funded Ph.D. Fellowship to prospective graduate students. 

This is a competitive fellowship aimed at incoming Ph.D. students with career interests that align with department entomology interests. Students who apply for the fellowship should highlight their research, teaching, Extension, and/or public engagement activites related to the study of insects and related arthropods.

The successful applicant will rotate among department research programs and labs for their first semester. At the end of that semester, the new Ph.D. student would select which faculty advisor(s) they would like to study with during their Ph.D. program. 

This fellowship will cover UNL tuition and 79% of health insurance costs. The student would be responsible for the other 21% of health insurance and all university fees. 

Applicants should be eligible to apply to the UNL Graduate College for the Fall 2022 semester: https://www.unl.edu/gradstudies/admissions/steps. Applications to the Ph.D. in Entomology program should be submitted by April 30, 2022.

In the application letter, students should:

  1. Indicate they are applying for the Entomology Ph.D. Fellowship;
  2. Address how their interests align with the research programs within the Department;
  3. Elucidate how their preparation (life experiences, academic coursework) cultivated an interest in pursuing a Ph.D. in Entomology; and
  4. Discuss career goals after obtaining their Ph.D.

Three academic or professional letters of recommendation are required. The selection committee requests that letter writers address the following: 

  1. Candidate’s ability to succeed academically, professionally, and personally in a Ph.D. Entomology program; 
  2. Candidate’s ability to think creatively and communicate effectively;

  3. Candidate’s adaptability to challenges and ability to problem-solve; and

  4. Candidate’s interest in and ability to address interdisciplinary questions.

This application period for this fellowship has closed.