- B.S. in Zoology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1974
- M.S. in Entomology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 1978
- Ph.D. in Entomology, Kansas State University, 1984
- 22 years as department head or chair (NDSU 1997-2006; UNL 2006-2018)
- IPM of flies on pasture cattle in central Nebraska
- Conservation and reintroduction of the Salt Creek tiger beetle
- Crop IPM
- Led team of curricular design consultants developing a BS degree in Conservation Agriculture for the Rwandan Institute of Conservation Agriculture to be offered starting in 2019.
- Co-Coordinator on a Research and Extension Experiences for Undergraduates project: Building undergraduate research and science communication skills through beneficial insect protection research and extension experiences.
- Taught twelve different courses to undergraduate and graduate students; including both resident and distance students.
- Roh, G. H., Xiaaojie, Z., Wang, Y., Cermak, S. C., Kenar, J. A., Lehmann, A. , Han, B. , Taylor, D. B., Zeng, X. , Park, C. G., Brewer, G. J. and Zhu, J. J. 2019. Spatial repellency, antifeedant activity and toxicity of three medium chain fatty acids and their methyl esters of coconut fatty acid against stable flies. Pest. Management Science. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.5574
- Florez-Cuadros, M., D. Berkebile, G. Brewer, and D. B. Taylor. 2019. Effects of Diet Quality and Temperature on Stable Fly (Diptera: Muscidae) Development. Insects. 10: 207. https://doi.org/10.3390/insects10070207.
- Rault, L. C., B. D. Siegfried, A. J. Gassmann, H. Wang, G. J. Brewer, and N. J. Miller. 2018. Investigation of Cry3Bb1 Resistance and Intoxication in Western Corn Rootworm by RNA Sequencing. J. Applied Entomol 142(10): 921-936, https://doi.org/10.1111/jen.12502.
- Zhu, Junwei J., Steven C. Cermak, James A. Kenar, Gary Brewer, Kenneth F. Haynes, Dave Boxler, Paul D. Baker, Desen Wang, Changlu Wang, Andrew Y. Li, Rui-de Xue, Yuan Shen, Fei Wang, Natasha M. Agramonte, Ulrich R. Bernier, Jaires G. de Oliveira Filho, Ligia M. F. Borges, Kristina Friesen & David B. Taylor. Better than DEET Repellent Compounds Derived from Coconut Oil. Scientific Reports 8: 14053. DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-32373-7
- Boxler, D. J., G. J. Brewer, J. Zhu, and R. N. Funston. 2017. Bio-pesticide management of pasture flies in the Great Plains via a push-pull strategy. J Animal Sci. 95: 8–8. (Abstract)
- Spomer, S.M., G.J. Brewer, M.I Fritz, R.R. Harms, K.A. Klatt, A.M. Johns, S.A. Crosier, and J.A. Palmer. 2015. Determining optimum soil type and salinity for rearing the federally endangered Salt Creek Tiger Beetle, Cicindela (Ellipsoptera) nevadica lincolniana Casey (Coleoptera: Carabidae: Cicindelinae). J. Kansas Entomol. Soc. 88(4):444-449.
- Tangtrakulwanich, K., T. A. Albuquerque, G. J. Brewer, F. P. Baxendale, L. Zurek, D. N. Miller, D. B. Taylor, K. A. Friesen, J. J. Zhu. 2015. Behavioral responses of stable flies to cattle manure slurry associated odorant. Medical and Veterinary Entomology. doi: 10.1111/mve.12103.
- Zhu, J.J., G. J. Brewer, D. J. Boxler, K. Friesen, D. B. Taylor. 2014. Comparisons of antifeedancy and spatial repellency from three natural product repellents against horn flies, Haematobia irritans (Diptera: Muscidae). Pest. Manag. Sci.1526-4998. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ps.3960.
- Tangtrakulwanich, K. 2012. Sensory morphology and chemical ecology of the stable fly, Stomoxys calcitrans: host-seeking and ovipositional selection. PhD dissertation. Univ. of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Zhu, J., D. Berkebile, C. Dunlap, A. Zhang, D. Boxler, K. Tangtrakulwanich, R. Behle, F. Baxendale, G. Brewer. 2011. Nepetalactones from essential oil of Nepeta Cataria represent a stable fly feeding and ovipositional repellent. Med. Vet. Entomol. 26 (2): 131-138.
- Tangtrakulwanich, K., H. Chen, F. Baxendale, G. Brewer, and J. J. Zhu. 2011. Characterization of olfactory sensilla of Stomoxys calcitrans and electrophysiological responses to odorant compounds associated with hosts and oviposition media. Med. Vet. Entomol. 25 (3): 327–336.
- Zhu, J., A. Y. Li, S. Pritchard, K. Tangtrakulwanich, F. P. Baxendale, and G. Brewer. 2011. Contact and fumigant toxicity of a botanical-based feeding deterrent of the stable fly, Stomoxys calcitrans (Diptera: Muscidae). J. Agric. Food Chem. 59 (18): 10394-10400.
- Brewer, G. J. 2018. Maintenance of laboratory insect colonies and evaluation of insecticides and treated materials against insect pests. Vestergaard Frandsen Inc. $32,680.
- Golick, D., T. Anderson, G. Brewer, J., Dauer, J., Louis, J., McMechan, J., Peterson, A. Velez, T. Weissling, and J. Wu-Smart. 2018. Building undergraduate research and science communication skills through beneficial insect protection research and extension experiences. USDA-NIFA-AFRI-006555. $362,150.
- Brewer, G. J. 2017. Increasing the Capacity of the Captive Rearing and Reintroduction Program for the Salt Creek Tiger Beetle, Cicindela nevadica lincolniana. NE Game and Parks Comm. Additional funding $49,290.
- Brewer, G. J., D. J. Boxler, K. Hanford, and M. Stockton, J. Zhu, and J. Hogsette. 2017. A Multi-Tactic Push-Pull Strategy for Controlling Stable Flies on Pasture Cattle in Nebraska and Florida.USDA-NIFA-CPPM-006264. $325,000.
- Brewer, G. J. 2017. Maintenance of laboratory insect colonies and evaluation of insecticides and treated materials against insect pests. Vestergaard Frandsen Inc. $26,449.
- Brewer, G. J. and D. J. Boxler. 2016. Evaluation of Zerofly Material for the Suppression of Stable Flies on Pastured Cattle. $17,806.
- Brewer, G. J. 2016. Increasing the Capacity of the Captive Rearing and Reintroduction Program for the Salt Creek Tiger Beetle, Cicindela nevadica lincolniana. NE Game and Parks Comm. Additional funding $32,500.
- Brewer, G. J. and D. J. Boxler. 2015. Cargill Essential Oil Feedthrough. $9,815 (May - Dec 2015).
- Brewer, G. J. 2014. Increasing the Capacity of the Captive Rearing and Reintroduction Program for the Salt Creek tiger beetle, Cicindela nevadica lincolniana. NE Game and Parks Comm. $62,900.
- Brewer, G. J. and D. J. Boxler. 2014. Fatty Acid Based Insecticide. USDA SBIR. $10,364.
- Reifenrath, W., G. J. Brewer, and D. J. Boxler. 2013. Fatty Acid Based Insecticide. USDA SBIR. $24,735.