Dr. Gary Hein (Emeritus)
We believe in the power of every person.
- B.S. in Biology, Concordia College, 1976
- M.S. in Entomology, Iowa State University, 1981
- Ph.D. in Entomology, Iowa State University, 1984
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- Administration: Most recently, Hein was responsible for directing and managing the Doctor of Plant Health Program offered at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln. The mission of the Doctor of Plant Health Program at UNL is to produce plant practitioners who are broadly trained in the various disciplines that impact plant health and plant management. These practitioners will be capable of integrating this broad training to diagnose and solve plant health problems and to develop plant management systems that maximize the system's economic, environmental and social sustainability.
- Research: Emphasis is on determining aspects of wheat curl mite biology and ecology that are relevant to the epidemiology and management of its vectored viruses in wheat.
Recent Refereed Publications (past 5 years)
- Tatineni, S. and G. L. Hein. 2023. Plant Viruses of Agricultural Importance: Current and Future Perspectives of Virus Disease Management Strategies. Phytopathology 113: 117-141. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHYTO-05-22-0167-RVW
Guttieri, M. J., Bowden, R. L., Zhang, G., Haley, S., Frels, K., Hein, G. L., & Jordan, K. W. (2023). Agronomic and quality impact of a shortened translocation for wheat streak mosaic virus resistance. Crop Science, 1–13. https://doi.org/10.1002/csc2.20876
Baenziger PS, Masterson, SD, Boehm JD, Belamkar V, Barnett MD, Rose DJ, Xu L, Wegulo SN, Regassa T, Easterly AC, Creech CF, Santra DK, Krueger GR, Hergert GW, Klein RN, Jin Y, Kolmer J, Chen MS, Hein GL, Bowden RL, Guttieri MJ, Bai G, El-Basyoni Salah I, Poland J. 2022. Registration of LCS ‘Valiant’ hard red winter wheat. J. Plant Regist. 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/plr2.20256
Pingault, L., T. K. N. Luong, J. Louis & G. Hein. 2022. Wheat transcriptomic responses to extended feeding by wheat curl mites. Scientific Reports 12:12535. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-022-16792-1
Majer, A., A. Laska, G. L. Hein, L. Kuczynski, and A. Skoracka. 2021. Hitchhiking or hang gliding? Dispersal strategies of two cereal-feeding eriophyoid mite species. Exp. Applied Acarology 85(2):131-146. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10493-021-00661-z
Majer, A., A. Laska, G. L. Hein, L. Kuczynski, and A. Skoracka. 2021. Propagule pressure rather than population growth determines colonization ability: a case study using two phytophagous mite species differing in their invasive potential. Ecol. Entomol. 46: 1136-1147. https://doi.org/10.1111/enn.13058
Tatineni, S. and G. L. Hein. 2021. High Plains wheat mosaic virus: An enigmatic disease of wheat and corn causing the High Plains disease. Molecular Plant Pathology. 22(10): 1167-1179. https://doi.org/10.1111/mpp.13113
McCullough, C., G. L. Hein, and J. Bradshaw. 2020. Phenology and dispersal of the wheat stem sawfly (Hymenoptera: Cephidae) into winter wheat fields in Nebraska. J. Econ. Entomol. 113 (4): 1831–1838. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toaa093
Striegel, A., K. M. Eskridge, N. C. Lawrence, S. Z. Knezevic, G. R. Kruger, C. A. Proctor, G. L. Hein, and A. J. Jhala. 2020. Economics of herbicide programs for weed control in conventional, glufosinate, and dicamba/glyphosate-resistant soybean across Nebraska. Agron. Journal 112: 5158-5179. https://doi.org/10.1002/agj2.20427
Striegel, A., N. C. Lawrence, S. Z. Knezevic, J. T. Krumm, G. Hein, and A. J. Jhala. 2020. Control of glyphosate/glufosinate-resistant volunteer corn in corn resistant to aryloxyphenoxypropionates. Weed Technol. 34: 309-317. https://doi.org/10.1017/wet.2020.41
Baenziger PS, Graybosch RA, Rose DJ, Xu L, Guttieri MJ, Regassa T, Klein RN, Kruger GR, Santra DK, Hergert GW, Wegulo SN, Jin Y, Kolmer J, Hein GL, Bradshaw J, Chen MS, Bai G, Bowden RL, El-Basyoni I, Lorenz A. 2020. Registration of ‘NE10589’ (Husker Genetics Brand Ruth) hard red winter wheat. J. Plant Regist. 2020;14:388–397. https://doi.org/10.1002/plr2.2006
Vitale J.; Vitale, P.P.; Epplin, F.; Giles, K.; Elliott, N.; Peairs, F.; Burgener, P.; Keenan, S.; Michels, G.; and Hein, G. 2020. Farm Management Practices Used by Wheat Producers in the Western Great Plains: Estimating Their Productivity and Profitability. Journal of Applied Farm Economics: Vol. 3 (1), Article 4. https://docs.lib.purdue.edu/jafe/vol3/iss1/4
Gupta, A. K., E. D. Scully, N. A. Palmer, S. M. Geib, G. Sarath, G. L. Hein, and S. Tatineni. 2019. Wheat streak mosaic virus alters the transcriptome of its vector, wheat curl mite (Aceria tosichella Keifer), to enhance mite development and population expansion. J. General Virology. J. General Virology 100: 889-910. https://doi.org/10.1099/jgv.0.001256
Gupta, A. K., G. L. Hein, and S. Tatineni. 2019. P7 and P8 proteins of High Plains wheat mosaic virus, a negative-strand RNA virus, employ distinct mechanisms of RNA silencing suppression. Virology 535: 20-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virol.2019.06.011
Stilwell, A. R., D. C. Rundquist, D. B. Marx and G. L. Hein. 2019. Differential spatial gradients of Wheat streak mosaic virus into winter wheat from a central mite-virus source. Plant Disease 103(2): 338-344. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-01-18-0025-RE
Tatineni, S. and G. L. Hein. 2018. Genetics and mechanisms underlying transmission of Wheat streak mosaic virus by the wheat curl mite. Current Opinion in Virology 33: 37-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coviro.2018.07.012
Pretorius, R. J., G. L. Hein, E. E. Blankenship, F. F. Purrington, R. G. Wilson and J. D. Bradshaw. 2018. Comparing the Effects of Two Tillage Operations on Beneficial Epigeal Arthropod Communities and Their Associated Ecosystem Services in Sugar Beets. Journal of Economic Entomology 111: 2617-2631. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy285
Skoracka, A., B. G. Rector and G. L. Hein. 2018. The Interface Between Wheat and the Wheat Curl Mite, Aceria tosichella, the Primary Vector of Globally Important Diseases. Frontiers in Plant Science 9: 1098. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2018.01098
Gupta, A. K., G. L. Hein, R. A. Graybosch and S. A. Tatineni. 2018. Octapartite negative-sense RNA genome of High Plains wheat mosaic virus encodes two suppressors of RNA silencing. Virology 518: 152-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.virol.2018.02.013
Wosula, E. N., A. J. McMechan, E. Knoell, S. Tatineni, S. N. Wegulo, and G. L. Hein. 2018. Impact of timing and method of virus inoculation on the severity of wheat streak mosaic in a virus resistant and susceptible winter wheat cultivar. Plant Disease 102(3): 645-650. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-08-17-1227-RE
Tatineni, S. A. J. McMechan, and G. L. Hein. 2018. Wheat streak mosaic virus coat protein is a determinant for vector transmission by the wheat curl mite. Virology 514: 42-49. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.virol.2017.10.018
Book Chapters/Other Publications
Hein, G., U. McKelvy, S. Wegulo, R. Hunger, M. Burrows, C. Rush, F. Workneh, W. Brorsen, A. Friskop, and E. Byamukama. 2023. Mite-transmitted virus disease complex of wheat in the Great Plains of the United States. Extension Publ. EC3063, University of Nebraska – Lincoln.
- Hein, G. L., A. J. McMechan, and L. Overmyer. 2023. Wheat curl mite ecology and epidemiology of its associated wheat viruses. Pp. 271-310, In: Eigenbrode, S. and Rashed, A. (ed.), Advances in understanding insect pests affecting wheat and other cereals. Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing, Cambridge, UK.
Tatineni, Satyanarayana and Hein, Gary L. 2021. Tritimoviruses and Rymoviruses (Potyviridae). In: Bamford, D.H. and Zuckerman, M. (eds.) Encyclopedia of Virology, 4th Edition, vol. 3, pp. 797–804. Oxford: Academic Press.
Hein, G. L. 2020. Wheat streak mosaic, High Plains disease, and Triticum Mosaic. Pp. 66-68 In: A Farmer’s Guide to Wheat Diseases. D. Smith, K. Wise, A. Freiji, A. Sisson, A. Tenuta, A. Friskop, E. Byamukama, J. Marshall, M. Burrows, and D. Meuller (eds). APS Press, St. Paul, 149 pp.
Awards and Honors
2023 Service to Agriculture Award from the National Alliance of Independent Crop Consultants (NAICC) for his contributions to establishing and directing the university's Doctor of Plant Health Professional Program (DPH).
North Central Branch of the Entomological Society of America, President - 2006-07
North Central Branch, Entomological Society of America (ESA) Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension, 2002.
Excellence in Extension Team Programming Award (Cooperative Extension), 1992, 1998, 2003.
Location107 ENTO Hall
1700 East Campus Mall
Lincoln, NE 68583-0816
Professional Society Memberships
- Entomological Society of America (ESA)
- Phytopathological Society of America
- Crop Science Society of America
- Agronomy Society of America
- 2023 Service to Agriculture Award from the National Alliance of Independent Crop Consultants (NAICC) for his contributions to establishing and directing the university's Doctor of Plant Health Professional Program (DPH).
- Teaching Award of Merit, North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture and UNL-CASNR, 2014.
- Distinguished Extension Specialist, UNL Extension – 2008
- North Central Branch of the Entomological Society of America, President - 2006-07
- North Central Branch, Entomological Society of America (ESA) Distinguished Achievement Award in Extension, 2002.
- Excellence in Extension Team Programming Award (Cooperative Extension), 1992, 1998, 2003.