- A.A.S. - Biology - Illinois Central College, 1996
- B.A. - Zoology - Southern Illinois University, 1998
- M.S. - Zoology - Southern Illinois University, 2001
- Ph.D. - Entomology & Plant Pathology - Iowa State University, 2007
Professional Responsibilities and Activities
- Research Interests:
Support, design, and develop research projects principally in applied entomology. Projects support the management of insects of importance for field crops and range in western Nebraska. Current focus crops include corn, wheat, sunflower, dry bean, potato, and sugar beet.
- Extension Interests:
Develop and deliver statewide educational media for insect management of field crops and rangeland. Media include the delivery and development of online media as well as mobile decision support systems. Crops include corn, wheat, sunflower, dry bean, potato, and sugar beet. In rangeland the focus is on sustainable rangeland management.
- Major Project Activities:
- Mapping resistance in edible dry beans to chewing insects using the Mexican bean beetle.
- Evaluating the role of soil arthropods in concert with host plant resistance in suppressing the sugarbeet root aphid, Pemphagus betae.
- Development of a disease forecasting system for zebra chip and the tomato/potato psyllid, Bactericera cockerelli
- Evaluating biological control of the wheat stem sawfly
- Development of biological control strategies for the management of pests of dry edible beans
- Evaluating the role of soil arthropods in soil health
- Development of IPM strategies in sunflower
- Evans, K. S., M. Mamo, A. Wingeyer, W. H. Schacht, K. M. Eskridge, J. Bradshaw, and D. Ginting. 2019. Soil Fauna Accelerate Dung Pat Decomposition and Nutrient Cycling into Grassland Soil. Rangeland Ecology & Management. 72(4): p. 668-677. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rama.2019.01.008
- Koch. K. G., E. Scully, N. Palmer, S. Geib, G. Sarath, T. Heng-Moss, J. Bradshaw. 2019. Divergent Switchgrass Cultivars Modify Cereal Aphid Transcriptomes. Journal of Economic Entomology. Toz053. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toz053
- Montezano, D. G., T. Hunt, D. Souza, B. Vieira, A. M. Vélez Arango, G. Kruger, S. Zukoff, N., J. Bradshaw, J. A. Peterson. 2019. Bifenthrin baseline susceptibility and evaluation of simulated aerial applications in Striacosta albicosta (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Journal of Economic Entomology, 112(6), 2915–2922.
- Palmer, N. A., S. Basu, T. Heng-Moss, J. D. Bradshaw, G. Sarath, and J. Louis. 2019. Fall armyworm (Spodoptera frugiperda Smith) feeding elicits differential defense responses in upland and lowland switchgrass. PLOS ONE 14(6). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0218352
- Bradshaw, J.D., K. H. Jenkins, S. D. Whipple. 2018. Impact of Grasshopper Control on Forage Quality and Availability in Western Nebraska. 40(3): p. 71-76.
- Koch, K., T. Donze-Reiner, L. M. Baird, J. Louis, K. Amundsen, G. Sarath, J. Bradshaw, and T. Heng-Moss. 2018. Evaluation of Greenbug and Yellow Sugarcane Aphid Feeding Behavior on Resistant and Susceptible Switchgrass Cultivars. BioEnergy Research, Volume 11(3): 480–490. DOI: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12155-018-9914-3
- Mallinger, R. E., J.D. Bradshaw, A. J. Varenhorst, and J. R. Prasifka. 2018. Native Solitary Bees Provide Economically Significant Pollination Services to Confection Sunflowers (Helianthus annuus L.) (Asterales: Asteraceae) Grown Across the Northern Great Plains. Journal of Economic Entomology, toy322. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy322
- Pretorius, J. R., G. Hein, E. E. Blankenship, F. F. Purrington, R. G. Wilson, and J.D. Bradshaw. 2018. Comparing the Effects of Two Tillage Operations on Beneficial Epigeal Arthropod Communities and Their Associated Ecosystem Services in Sugar Beets. Journal of Economic Entomology, Volume 111(6): 2617–263. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy285
- Archibald, W. R., J. D. Bradshaw, D. A. Golick, R. J. Wright, and J. A. Peterson. 2017. Nebraska Growers’ and Crop Consultants’ Knowledge and Implementation of Integrated Pest Management of Western Bean Cutworm. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 9: 1-7.
- Donze-Reiner, T., Palmer, N. A., Scully, E. D., Prochaska, T. J., Koch, K. G., Heng-Moss, T., Bradshaw, J., Twigg, P., Amundsen, K., Sattler, S. E., Sarath, G. 2017. Transcriptional analysis of defense mechanisms in upland tetraploid switchgrass to greenbugs. BMC Plant Biology, 17, 46. DOI: https://bmcplantbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12870-017-0998-2
- Hergert, G., M. Darapuneni, R. Wilson, R. Harveson, J. Bradshaw, and R. Nielsen. 2017. Agronomic potential of using precipitated calcium carbonate on early plant growth and soil quality in the intermountain west – greenhouse studies. Journal of Sugar Beet Research. 54: 35-49.
- Prasifka, J., J. Bradshaw, and R. Aiken. 2017. Reassessment of Resistance to Sunflower Stem Weevil, Cylindrocopturus adspersus LeConte (Coleoptera: Curculionidae), in Cultivated Sunflower Germplasm. Journal of the Kansas Entomological Society 90(3):204-210. DOI: http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2317/0022-8567-90.3.2048567-90.3.204
- Pretorius, R., G. Hein, E. Blankenship, F. Purrington, J. Bradshaw. 2017. Response of Pemphigus betae (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and Beneficial Epigeal Arthropod Communities to Sugarbeet Plant Density and Seed-Applied Insecticide in Western Nebraska. Environmental Entomology. 46: 107-117. DOI: https://academic.oup.com/ee/article/46/1/107/2977298
- Wang, H., C. Zhang, Y. Dou, B. Yu, Y. Liu, T. Heng-Moss, G. Lu, M. Wachholtz, J. Bradshaw, P. Twigg, E. Scully, N. Palmer, G. Sarath. 2017. Insect and plant-derived miRNAs in greenbug (Schizaphis graminum) and yellow sugarcane aphid (Sipha flava) revealed by deep sequencing. Gene. 599: 68-77. DOI: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378111916308897
- Bradshaw, J., J. R. Prasifka, J. J. Knodel, and J. P. Michaud. 2016. Part II. Insect Pests. In Harveson, R. M., S. G. Markell, C. C. Block, and T. J. Gulya [Eds.], Compendium of Sunflower Diseases and Pests. 140 pp.
Awards and Honors
- Innovative Extension Specialist, University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Jeff Bradshaw. 2016.
- Courtesy Appointment, University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Department of Plant Pathology. Jeff Bradshaw. 2012.
- Outstanding Postdoc Mentor, University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Jeff Bradshaw. 2012.
- Distinguished Extension New Employee, University of Nebraska - Lincoln. Jeff Bradshaw. 2011.
- Tanzania 'Teaching assistant field leader for Iowa State Study Abroad
- Queensland, Australia 'Submitted conference presentation
- Scottland 'Submitted conference presentation
- South Africa 'Submitted conference presentation
- Sweden 'Invited presentation
- Belgium 'Visiting scientist
LocationPanhandle Research, Extension & Education Center (PHREEC)
4502 Avenue I
Scottsbluff, NE 69361
Appointment50% Extension, 50% Research
Professional Society Memberships
- Entomological Society of America (ESA)
- American Society of Sugar Beet Technologists
- Weed Science Society of America