80% Teaching, 20% Extension
- Ph.D. Educational Studies, Emphasis Instructional Technology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (December 2005). Dissertation: Enhancement of Student Performance With Web-based Exercises: Does it work for insect identification?
- M.Ed. Curriculum and Instruction, Emphasis Instructional Technology, Minor Entomology, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (May 2001).
- B.S. Curriculum and Instruction, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (May 1999).
- Insects as Educational Tools. Graduate Level Course, Distance Delivered.
- Introduction to the Development of Distance Education Courses. Graduate Level Course, Distance Delivered.
- Presentation Methods. Graduate Level Course, Distance Delivered.
- Introduction to Entomology Lab, Undergraduate.
Research and Teaching Interests:
- Using insects as a model for engaging students and teachers in science learning
- Using arthropods to teach systems-thinking
- Pollinator education and conservation programming
- Citizen science programming
- Technological approaches to enhancing science teaching and scientific literacy
- Distance delivery approaches to instruction
- Evaluation instruments development
- Westerhold, C. M., Wortman, S., Todd, K., & Golick, D. (2018). Knowledge of Pollinator Conservation and Associated Plant Recommendations in the Horticultural Retail Industry. HortTechnology, 28(4), 529-535. doi: 10.21273/HORTTECH03973-18
- Ingram, E., and Golick, D. (2018). The Six-Legged Subject: A Survey of Secondary Science Teachers’ Incorporation of Insects into U.S. Life Science Instruction, Insects. 9 (1). http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/9/1/32
- Lynch, L., Dauer, J. Babchuk, W., Heng-Moss, T. and Golick, D. (2018). In Their Own Words: The Significance of Participant Perceptions in Assessing Entomology Citizen Science Learning Outcomes Using a Mixed Methods Approach. Insects. 9(1). http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/9/1/16
- Vickrey, T., Golick, D., Stains, M. (2018). Educational technologies and instructional practices in agricultural sciences: Leveraging the Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) framework to critically review the literature. NACTA Journal 62(1).
- Archibald, W., Bradshaw, J. Golick, D., Wright, R. and Peterson, J. (2017). Nebraska growers’ and crop consultants’ knowledge and implementation of integrated pest management of western bean cutworm Striacosta albicosta (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 9(1): 1-7.
- Troupe, G., McKinzie, P., Golick, D., Turnbull, S., Lee, D. (2017). Improving genetic engineering secondary education through a classroom-ready online resource. Journal of Food Information Technology. 0(0) (Online) 1-18 pp https://doi.org/10.1080/10496505.2017.1353915
- Golick, D., Dauer, J., Lynch, L., & Ingram, E. (2017). A framework for pollination systems thinking and conservation. Environmental Education Research, 1-16. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/13504622.2017.1349878
- Troupe, G., Golick, D., and Lee, D. (2016). Genetic engineering online lesson leads to increased knowledge and more accepting student attitudes. NACTA Journal. 60(2), 167-175.
- Golick, D.A., Heng-Moss, T.M. (2013) Insects as Educational Tools: An online course teaching the use of insects as instructional tools. American Entomologist. Entomological Society of America. 59:3 183-187. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/entomologyfacpub/351/
- Golick, D. A., Heng-Moss, T.M., Steckelberg, A., Higley, L.G., Brooks, D., and Fowler, D. (2012). Using Web-based Key Character and Classification Instruction for Teaching Undergraduate Students Insect Identification. Journal of Science Education and Technology DOI 10.1007/s10956-012-9410-zhttp://digitalcommons.unl.edu/entomologyfacpub/352/
- Golick, D. A., Heng-Moss, T.M., and Ellis, M.D. (2010). Using Insects to Promote Science Inquiry in Elementary Classrooms. NACTA Journal 54:3.
- $115,628 – SARE (2017-2020) Golick, D. (PI), Wu-Smart, J., Starkweather, K., Fras, Wyatt. Honey bee on the farm: Connecting women beekeepers and farmers for environmental and economic benefit.
- $300,000 – Hatch Internal (2016-2020) Wu-Smart, J. (PI), Golick, D., Weissling, T., Peterson, J., Koehler-Cole, K., Banerjee, S., IC-1792, Grant, NE1501: Sustainable landscape solutions to reduce pesticide exposure and promote establishment of beneficial insect and pollinator communities in agricultural areas
- $238,500 – NIFA (2016-2018) Hein, G. (PI), Lee, D. Everhart, S. et. al. Golick, D. Bridging the Gap: Educating multidisciplinary professionals to steward pest management technologies for sustainable agriculture.
- $364,520 – Nebraska Environmental Trust (2015-2017) Golick, D. (PI) and Evertson, J. Community as Habitat: Nebraska communities supporting pollinators and landscape diversity through native water-wise plant habitat.
- $149,999 - Monsanto (2014-2017) Golick, D. (PI), Wright, R., Meinke, L., Seigfried, L., Miller, N., Hunt, T., Hein, G., and Lee, D. Teaching corn rootworm resistance management strategies through interactive mobile and web-based educational modules.
- $48,283 - Nebraska Environmental Trust (2013-2017) Golick, D. (PI), Ellis, M., Weissling, T. and Lynch, L. Pollinator habitat for rural areas.
- $6,345 – Kickstarter.com (2013) Golick, D. (PI), and Weissling, T. (2013) Bumble Boosters designing a better bumble bee domicile. Kickstarter.com
- $1,990,273 - NSF WIDER (2013-2017) Perez, L. (PI), Arthurs, L., Couch, B. Golick, D., Heaton, R., Lee, K., Stains, M. Adopting research-based instructional strategies for enhancing STEM education.
- $3,375,000– Department of Agriculture - AFRI. (2012-2018), Hein, G., et. al. Golick, D. Mite-Virus disease complex in wheat: A predictive model.