|Appointment: 50% Extension, 50% Research
Professional Responsibilities and Activities:
The Agroecosystems Entomology Lab, located at the West Central Research & Extension Center in North Platte, pursues research questions addressing the ecology and management of agricultural pests with an emphasis on practical applications for integrated pest management in field crops. Current research projects may address a variety of themes, such as food web dynamics, insect behavior, compatibility of pest control strategies (including biological control by natural enemies), and resistance management. Our research supports extension programming to develop proactive educational programs in IPM and IRM of arthropod pests of field crops grown in west central Nebraska.
Refereed Journal Publications:
- B.A. in Zoology, Ohio Wesleyan University, 2007
- Ph.D. in Entomology, University of Kentucky, 2012
- Souza D, JA Peterson, RJ Wright & LJ Meinke. In Press. Field efficacy of soil insecticides on pyrethroid resistant western corn rootworms (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte). Pest Management Science, XX: X-X. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.5586
- Montezano DG, TE Hunt, D Souza, BC Vieira, AM Vélez, GR Kruger, SN Zukoff, JD Bradshaw & JA Peterson. 2019. Bifenthrin baseline susceptibility and evaluation of simulated aerial applications in Striacosta albicosta (Smith) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Journal of Economic Entomology, 112: 2915-2922. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toz237
- Montezano DG, TE Hunt, A Specht, PM Colombo da Luz & JA Peterson. 2019. Survival and development of Striacosta albicosta (Smith) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) immature stages on dry beans, non-Bt, Cry1F and Vip3A maize. Insects, 10: 343. https://doi.org/10.3390/insects10100343
- Montezano DG, TE Hunt, A Specht, PM Colombo da Luz & JA Peterson. 2019. Life cycle parameters of Striacosta albicosta (Smith) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) under laboratory conditions. Journal of Insect Science, 19: 14; 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jisesa/iez073
- Montezano DG, A Specht, DR Sosa-Gómez, VF Roque-Specht, JV Malaquias, SV Paula-Moraes, JA Peterson & TE Hunt. 2019. Biotic potential and reproductive parameters of Spodoptera frugiperda (J.E. Smith, 1797) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). Journal of Agricultural Science, 11: 240-252. https://doi.org/10.5539/jas.v11n13p240
- Montezano DG, A Specht, DR Sosa-Gómez, V Ferreira Roque-Specht, SV Paula-Moraes, JA Peterson & TE Hunt. 2019. Developmental parameters of Spodoptera frugiperda (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) immature stages under controlled and standardized conditions. Journal of Agricultural Science, 11: 76-89. https://doi.org/10.5539/jas.v11n8p76
- Souza D, BC Vieira, BK Fritz, WC Hoffmann, JA Peterson, GR Kruger & LJ Meinke. 2019. Western corn rootworm pyrethroid resistance confirmed by aerial application simulations of commercial insecticides. Scientific Reports, 9: 6713. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-43202-w
- Schuster NR, JA Peterson, JE Gilley, LR Schott & AM Schmidt. 2019. Soil arthropod abundance and diversity following land application of swine slurry. Agricultural Sciences, 10: 150-163. https://doi.org/10.4236/as.2019.102013
- Montezano DG, A Specht, DR Sosa-Gómez, V Ferreira Roque-Specht, JC Sousa Silva, SV Paula-Moraes, JA Peterson & TE Hunt. 2018. Host plants of Spodoptera frugiperda (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in the Americas. African Entomology, 26: 286-300.
- Karp DS, et al. (Peterson JA author #113 of 157). 2018. Crop pests and predators exhibit inconsistent responses to surrounding landscape composition. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA, 115: 7863-7870.
- Stepanovic SV, C Burr, JA Peterson, D Rudnick, CF Creech & R Werle. 2018. Field peas response to seeding rate, depth and inoculant in west-central Nebraska. Agronomy Journal, 110: 1412-1419.
- Peterson JA, EC Burkness, JD Harwood & WD Hutchison. 2018. Molecular gut-content analysis reveals high frequency of Helicoverpa zea (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) consumption by Orius insidiosus (Hemiptera: Anthocoridae) in sweet corn. Biological Control, 121: 1-7.
- Archibald WR, JD Bradshaw, DA Golick, RJ Wright & JA Peterson. 2017. Nebraska growers’ and crop consultants’ knowledge and implementation of integrated pest management of western bean cutworm. Journal of Integrated Pest Management, 9(1): 1-7.
- Bentivenha JPF, Montezano DG, Hunt TE, Baldin ELL, Peterson JA, Victor VS, Pannuti L, Vélez AM & Paula-Moraes SV. 2017. Intraguild interactions and behavior of Spodoptera frugiperda and Helicoverpa spp. on maize. Pest Management Science, 73(11): 2244-2251.
- Peterson JA, PJ Ode, C Oliveira-Hofman & JD Harwood. 2016. Integration of plant defense traits with biological control of arthropod pests: challenges and opportunities. Invited review article for special issue “Crop traits for defense against pests and disease: durability, breakdown and future prospects.” Frontiers in Plant Science, 7: 1-23.
- Peterson JA, JJ Obrycki & JD Harwood. 2016. Spiders from multiple functional guilds are exposed to Bt-endotoxins in transgenic corn fields via prey and pollen consumption. Biocontrol Science & Technology, 26: 1230-1248.
- Eckberg, J.O., J.A. Peterson, C.P. Borsh, J.M. Kaser, G.A. Johnson, J.C. Luhman, D.L. Wyse and G.E. Heimpel. 2015, Field abundance and performance of hoverflies (Diptera: Syrphidae) on soybean aphid. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 108: 26-34.
- Schmidt, J.M., J.A. Peterson, J.G. Lundgren and J.D. Harwood. 2013. Dietary supplementation with pollen enhances survival and Collembola boosts fitness of a web-building spider. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 149: 282-291.
- Johnson, D.M., J. Munzinger, J.A. Peterson and N.A. Murray. 2013. Taxonomy and biogeography of the New Caledonian species of Xylopia L. (Annonaceae). Adansonia, 35(2): 207-226.
- Peterson, J.A., J.G. Lundgren and J.D. Harwood. 2011. Interactions of transgenic Bacillus thuringiensis insecticidal crops with spiders (Araneae). Journal of Arachnology, 39(1): 1-21.
- Peterson, J.A., S.A. Romero and J.D. Harwood. 2010. Pollen interception by linyphiid spiders in a corn agroecosystem: implications for dietary diversification and risk-assessment. Arthropod-Plant Interactions, 4(4): 207-217. [Article featured on issue cover with photograph by JAPeterson]
- Peterson, J.A., J.J. Obrycki & J.D. Harwood. 2009. Quantification of Bt-endotoxin exposure pathways in carabid food webs across multiple transgenic events. Biocontrol Science & Technology, 19(6): 613-625.
- Peterson, J.A., J.J. Obrycki and J.D. Harwood. 2013. Transgenic Crops: Bacillus thuringiensis In: Encyclopedia of Environmental Management (SE Jorgensen ed.). Taylor & Francis, New York, NY. Vol. I: 329-342.
- Peterson JA, TE Hunt, KA Swoboda Bhattarai, DG Montezano, AM Vélez, G Kruger, D Rudnick, JD Bradshaw, X Qiao & D Souza. Nebraska Corn Board. “Addressing the Growing Concern of Inadequate Chemical Control of Critical Corn Pests.” 2019-2022 (Year 1 of 3 approved, $38,724)
- Golick D, G Brewer, T Anderson, A Vélez, J Dauer, J Louis, J McMechan, J Peterson, T Weissling & J Wu-Smart. USDA-NIFA, Educational Literacy Initiative’s Research and Extension Experiences for Undergraduates. “Building Undergraduate Research and Science Communication Skills through Beneficial Insects Protection Research and Extension Experiences (FACT).” 2019-2023 ($344,767)
- Hoffart EK, KA Swoboda Bhattarai & JA Peterson. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Agricultural Research Division Undergraduate Student Research Project. “Evaluation of the effects of cover crops on the infestation rate, yield damage, and pupal development of western bean cutworm (Striacosta albicosta) in corn fields.” 2018 ($2,500)
- Wright R, J Wu-Smart, J Peterson, D Golick, J Bradshaw & T Weissling. North Central Region Integrated Pest Management Center Agricultural Production Pollinator Habitat Utilization Survey Funding. “2018 Pollinator Habitat Survey.” 2018-2019 ($20,000)
- Lehmann AT & JA Peterson. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Agricultural Research Division Undergraduate Student Research Project. “The role of carrion beetles in agroecosystems of western Nebraska.” 2017 ($2,500)
- Lehmann AT & JA Peterson. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Undergraduate Creative Activities and Research Experiences (UCARE). "The community of carrion beetles in conventional and no-till agroecosystems of western Nebraska." 2017 ($2,400)
- Peterson JA & BS Coates. North Central Region Integrated Pest Management Center Critical Issues Grant. “Bt resistance screening to inform IPM for western bean cutworm.” 2017-2019 ($49,995)
- Stepanovic S, R Werle, C Creech, D Rudnick, JA Peterson, A Adesemoye, H Blanco, C Burr, D Santra & M Stockton. USDA-NIFA North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education Grant. “Rotational benefits and agronomic evaluation of field peas in cereal based cropping systems.” 2017-2020 ($200,000)
- Hunt TE, JA Peterson, BS Coates, JD Bradshaw, SN Zukoff & P Porter. USDA-NIFA Biotechnology Risk-Assessment Grant. “Evaluating the efficacy of insect resistance management plans for delaying the onset of Bacillus thuringiensis toxin resistance in western bean cutworm populations.” 2016-2019 ($492,497)
- Wu-Smart J, D Golick, T Weissling, J Peterson, K Koehler-Cole & S Banerjee. Enhanced Hatch-Multistate Research Funding, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “NE-1501: Sustainable landscape solutions to reduce pesticide exposure and promote establishment of beneficial insect and pollinator communities in agricultural areas.” 2016-2019 ($300,000)
- Oliveira-Hofman C, JA Peterson, LJ Meinke & AO Adesemoye. Nebraska Corn Board Research Grant. “Evaluation of Entomopathogenic Fungi on Mortality of the Western Corn Rootworm and Other Corn Insects.” 2016-2017 ($18,169)
- Stepanovic S, C Burr, JA Peterson & D Santra. USDA-NIFA North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Partnership Grant. “Replacing Summer Fallow with Grain-Type Field Peas in Semiarid Copping Systems: Sustainability and Agronomic Evaluation.” 2016-2017 ($29,999)
- Bradshaw JD & JA Peterson. Nebraska Wheat Board. “Impact of Cultural Control Tactics for Wheat Stem Sawfly Management.” 2015-2016 ($32,618)
- Peterson JA, JD Bradshaw & RJ Wright. Enhanced Hatch-Multistate Research Funding, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “NC-205: Ecology & Management of Western Bean Cutworm in Nebraska.” 2015-2020 ($500,000)
- Peterson JA, JD Bradshaw, BD Siegfried & SN Zukoff. USDA-NIFA-AFRI Critical Agricultural Research & Extension. “Identifying Pest Management Solutions for Problematic Western Bean Cutworm Infestations.” 2015-2018 ($150,000)
Select Extension Publications:
Professional and Committee Memberships:
- Excellence in Extension- Relevance Award, Nebraska Extension, 2018
- Ohio Wesleyan University Young Alumni Achievement Award, 2017
- Epsilon Sigma Phi Early Career Leadership Award, Nebraska Extension, 2016
- J.H. Comstock Award, North Central Branch- Entomological Society of America, 2012
- Robert J. O’Neil Outstanding PhD in Biological Control Award, International Organization for Biological Control- Nearctic Regional Section, 2011
- Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award, University of Kentucky chapter of Gamma Sigma Delta, 2011
- Graduate Student Scholarship, North Central Branch- Entomological Society of America, 2011
- Kentucky Women in Agriculture, Inc. Scholarship, 2009
- Entomological Society of America
- Annual Meeting Program Co-Chair, 2017
- International Congress of Entomology Student Competition Co-Chair, 2016
- Student Transition & Early Professionals Committee, 2013-2015
- North Central Branch Student Affairs Committee, 2009-2012
- Ecological Society of America
- International Organization for Biological Control
- Central States Entomological Society (Kansas Entomological Society)