- 50% Extension, 50% Research
Professional Responsibilities and Activities:
The Agroecosystems Entomology Lab, located at the West Central Research & Extension Center in North Platte, pursues research questions addressing the ecology and management of agricultural pests with an emphasis on practical applications for integrated pest management in field crops. Current research projects may address a variety of themes, such as food web dynamics, insect behavior, compatibility of pest control strategies (including biological control by natural enemies), and resistance management. Our research supports extension programming to develop proactive educational programs in IPM and IRM of arthropod pests of field crops grown in west central Nebraska.
Refereed Journal Publications:
- B.A. in Zoology, Ohio Wesleyan University, 2007
- Ph.D. in Entomology, University of Kentucky, 2012
- Peterson JA, JJ Obrycki & JD Harwood. In Press. Spiders from multiple functional guilds are exposed to Bt-endotoxins in transgenic corn fields via prey and pollen consumption. Accepted to Biocontrol Science & Technology 20 May 2016. DOI: 10.1080/09583157.2016.1193591
- Eckberg, J.O., J.A. Peterson, C.P. Borsh, J.M. Kaser, G.A. Johnson, J.C. Luhman, D.L. Wyse and G.E. Heimpel. 2015, Field abundance and performance of hoverflies (Diptera: Syrphidae) on soybean aphid. Annals of the Entomological Society of America, 108: 26-34.
- Schmidt, J.M., J.A. Peterson, J.G. Lundgren and J.D. Harwood. 2013. Dietary supplementation with pollen enhances survival and Collembola boosts fitness of a web-building spider. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 149: 282-291.
- Johnson, D.M., J. Munzinger, J.A. Peterson and N.A. Murray. 2013. Taxonomy and biogeography of the New Caledonian species of Xylopia L. (Annonaceae). Adansonia, 35(2): 207-226.
- Peterson, J.A., J.G. Lundgren and J.D. Harwood. 2011. Interactions of transgenic Bacillus thuringiensis insecticidal crops with spiders (Araneae). Journal of Arachnology, 39(1): 1-21.
- Peterson, J.A., S.A. Romero and J.D. Harwood. 2010. Pollen interception by linyphiid spiders in a corn agroecosystem: implications for dietary diversification and risk-assessment. Arthropod-Plant Interactions, 4(4): 207-217. [Article featured on issue cover with photograph by JAPeterson]
- Peterson, J.A., J.J. Obrycki & J.D. Harwood. 2009. Quantification of Bt-endotoxin exposure pathways in carabid food webs across multiple transgenic events. Biocontrol Science & Technology, 19(6): 613-625.
- Peterson, J.A., J.J. Obrycki and J.D. Harwood. 2013. Transgenic Crops: Bacillus thuringiensis In: Encyclopedia of Environmental Management (SE Jorgensen ed.). Taylor & Francis, New York, NY. Vol. I: 329-342.
- Wu-Smart J, D Golick, T Weissling, J Peterson, K Koehler-Cole & S Banerjee. Enhanced Hatch-Multistate Research Funding, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “NE-1501: Sustainable landscape solutions to reduce pesticide exposure and promote establishment of beneficial insect and pollinator communities in agricultural areas.” 2016-2019 ($300,000)
- Oliveira-Hofman C, JA Peterson, LJ Meinke & AO Adesemoye. Nebraska Corn Board Research Grant. “Evaluation of Entomopathogenic Fungi on Mortality of the Western Corn Rootworm and Other Corn Insects.” 2016-2017 ($18,169)
- Stepanovic S, C Burr, JA Peterson & D Santra. USDA-NIFA North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Partnership Grant. “Replacing Summer Fallow with Grain-Type Field Peas in Semiarid Copping Systems: Sustainability and Agronomic Evaluation.” 2016-2017 ($29,999)
- Bradshaw JD & JA Peterson. Nebraska Wheat Board. “Impact of Cultural Control Tactics for Wheat Stem Sawfly Management.” 2015-2016 ($32,618)
- Peterson JA, JD Bradshaw & RJ Wright. Enhanced Hatch-Multistate Research Funding, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “NC-205: Ecology & Management of Western Bean Cutworm in Nebraska.” 2015-2020 ($500,000)
- Peterson JA, JD Bradshaw, BD Siegfried & SN Zukoff. USDA-NIFA-AFRI Critical Agricultural Research & Extension. “Identifying Pest Management Solutions for Problematic Western Bean Cutworm Infestations.” 2015-2018 ($150,000)
- Peterson JA. Layman Seed Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. “Enhancing Biodiversity at Pivot Corners to Maximize Ecosystem Services.” 2015-2016. ($10,000)
- Peterson JA. University of Nebraska-Lincoln Agricultural Research Division Strategic Funding Grant. “Completion of the Agroecosystems Entomology Lab: Fume Hood.” 2015-2016 ($86,389)
- Peterson JA, GE Heimpel, KR Hopper, DL Wyse, C Fernholz, GA Johnson, JM Kaser & JO Eckberg. USDA-NIFA North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education Grant. “Promoting sustainable biological control of the soybean aphid by examining the effect of biodiversity on releases of the parasitoid wasp Aphelinus glycinis.” 2013-2016 ($198,606)
- Peterson, J.A., G.E. Heimpel, K.R. Hopper, D.L. Wyse, C. Fernholz, G.A. Johnson, J.M. Kaser and J.O. Eckberg. USDA-NIFA North Central Region Sustainable Agriculture Research & Education Grant: Promoting sustainable biological control of the soybean aphid by examining the effect of biodiversity on releases of the parasitoid wasp Aphelinus glycinis. 2013-2016 ($198,606)
Select Extension Publications:
Nebraska Extension Crop Production Clinic Proceedings:
- Peterson J, J Bradshaw, T Hunt, R Seymour, R Wright & S Paula-Moraes. 2016. “Western Bean Cutworm Update.”
- Peterson J. 2016. “What’s New in Entomology: West Central Nebraska.”
- Peterson J, T Hoegemeyer & R Elmore. 2015. “Pest-Resistant Crops: A Perspective from Game Theory.”
- Peterson J. 2015. “What’s New in Entomology: West Central Nebraska.”
- Meinke L, D Wangila, R Wright, T Hunt, J Peterson & G Kruger. 2015. “Corn Rootworm Management Update.”
- Hunt T, R Seymour, J Bradshaw, R Wright, S Paula-Moraes & J Peterson. 2015. “Western Bean Cutworm Update.”
Nebraska Extension CropWatch articles <http://cropwatch.unl.edu>
- Peterson J, R Wright, T Hunt, W Ohnesorg & J Bradshaw. July 8, 2016. “Begin Scouting for Western Bean Cutworm Eggs in Corn.”
- Peterson J, W Archibald, J Bradshaw, K Mollet, D Goulart Montezano & R Wright. June 24, 2016. “Using Degree-Days to Predict Western Bean Cutworm Flights.”
- Stepanovic S, J Milander, J Peterson, C Burr, D Rudnick, T Adesemoye, C Creech, R Werle & D Santra. March 11, 2016. “Replacing Summer Fallow with Grain-Type Field Peas: Rotational Costs and Benefits.”
- Wright R, J Peterson & J Bradshaw. August 5, 2015. “Be on Guard for Sugarcane Aphids in Sorghum.”
- Wright R, J Bradshaw & J Peterson. July 10, 2015. “Scout Field Borders for Grasshoppers.”
- Peterson J, *W Archibald, J Bradshaw, *D Montezano & R Wright. July 2, 2015. “Using Degree-Days to Predict Western Bean Cutworm Flight Times.”
- Bradshaw J & J Peterson. June 24, 2015. “An Update on Status of Wheat Stem Sawfly in Nebraska.”
- Peterson J. May 29, 2015. “Why is Bt Corn Refuge Compliance so Important?”
- Hunt T, R Wright & J Peterson. April 30, 2015. “Resisting Resistance: Introduction.”
- Bradshaw J & J Peterson. April 10, 2015. “Cutworm Scouting Urged in Western Nebraska.”
- Peterson J, R Wright & J Bradshaw. November 7, 2014. “Warmer Fall Temperatures Can Favor Aphids in Winter Wheat.”
- Bradshaw J & J Peterson. August 23, 2014. “Emergent Winter Wheat and Grasshoppers.”
- Wright R, J Bradshaw & J Peterson. July 23, 2014. “Monitor Grasshopper Levels in Field Borders.”
- Peterson J & J Bradshaw. April 11, 2014. “Cutworm Activity is Increasing in Western NE.”
- Bradshaw & J Peterson. March 28, 2014. “Get the Jump on Army Cutworms in Alfalfa, Wheat.”
Krupke C, W Bailey, C DiFonzo, E Hodgson, T Hunt, B Jensen, J Knodel, R Koch, B McCornack, A Michel, J Peterson, B Potter, A Szczepaniec, K Tilmon, J Tooker & S Zukoff. 2015. The Effectiveness of Neonicotinoid Seed Treatments in Soybean. Publication # E-268-W from Purdue Extension.
Awards and Honors/Notable Distinctions:
Professional and Committee Memberships:
- J.H. Comstock Award, North Central Branch- Entomological Society of America, 2012
- Robert J. O’Neil Outstanding PhD in Biological Control Award, International Organization for Biological Control- Nearctic Regional Section, 2011
- Outstanding Ph.D. Student Award, University of Kentucky chapter of Gamma Sigma Delta, 2011
- Graduate Student Scholarship, North Central Branch- Entomological Society of America, 2011
- Kentucky Women in Agriculture, Inc. Scholarship, 2009
- Entomological Society of America
- Annual Meeting Program Co-Chair, 2017
- International Congress of Entomology Student Competition Co-Chair, 2016
- Student Transition & Early Professionals Committee, 2013-2015
- North Central Branch Student Affairs Committee, 2009-2012
- Ecological Society of America
- International Organization for Biological Control
- Central States Entomological Society (Kansas Entomological Society)