Turfgrass Pests & Beneficials Index
Surface Feeders - Chewing
Surface Feeders - Sucking
Entomology News at Nebraska
Breaking Entomological News...
- Vilma Montenegro, Entomology master's student, was featured in the "IANR is Global" spotlight series. Montenegro is presenting an online seminar via Zoom on Friday, at 11 a.m. Her topic is "Research Challenges in Latin America: A Forensic Entomology Perspective." Montenegro is advised by Dr. Justin McMechan.
- Dr. Jeff Bradshaw was chosen as president-elect of the North Central Branch of the Entomology Society of America. Bradshaw is an associate professor of Entomology, extension specialist, and interim director of the Panhandle Research and Extension Center in Scottsbluff.
- Entomology Alumna Jennifer Weisbrod was recently selected as the new Pesticide Safety Education Program coordinator in the Department of Agronomy and Horticulture. Weisbrod graduated with her master's degree in Entomology in 2020 and is taking the reins from her predecessor Clyde Ogg, emeritus extension educator.
- Congratulations to departmental alumna Dr. Silvana Paula-Moraes who was recently named the recipient of the 2021 Department of Entomology Alumni Recognition Award. She will be presenting an online seminar in connection with the award on Monday, March 1st, at noon. All are invited to attend and hear about her career experiences.
The UNL Department of Entomology has been awarded the Seven Seals Award by the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR). The Seven Seals Award is presented in recognition of significant individual or organizational achievement, initiative, or support that promotes and supports the ESGR mission, to include the efforts of the more than 4,500 volunteers who carry out ESGR’s mission across the nation on a daily basis. The Entomology Department is fortunate to support Courtney Brummel and Sheldon Brummel in their service to the nation. Thanks for the nomination, Courtney and Sheldon!
- Justin McMechan was named the 2020 recipient of the Epsilon Sigma Phi Early Career Leadership Award by the Alpha Upsilon chapter at the University of Nebraska. Epsilon Sigma Phi is a national organization for extension professionals. Congratulations, Justin!
Judy Wu-Smart has received considerable media attention for her outstanding work with the environmental contaminants associated with the AltEn ethanol facility in Mead, NE. Her careful and patient work has been pivotal in bringing about very significant change. There has been coverage of the situation as far away as the UK, but an excellent article about it is in the Lincoln Journal Star. Great work Judy!